Installing a new SSD - what happens to windows?

Reaction score
So my hard drive died a grim and horrible death. And now I’m going to instal an SSD. I’ve never done this so I don’t know what will happen. I’ve recently factory reset the pc so there’s noting of use in the broken hard drive that’s worth cloning or transferring over to the SSD. If I remove the Hard drive and replace it with an SSD what do I do to reinstall windows? I’ve heard from a couple of people that once I replace the hard drive I just need to reset the pc to factory settings and this should reinstall windows. But someone’s now told me this won’t work.

So I’d like to know what Ways I can obtain windows in the new SSD. Preferably not the cloning HDD to SSD.

Thank you in advance to everyone that helps or attempts to help.

Reaction score
You can't reset the PC from an empty hard drive. You need to download the media creation tool from microsoft (from another computer) and follow the directions on the site to either burn a bootable DVD or flash drive, and do a clean install. During the install, when asked for a cd key, click on skip. The PC should activate automatically as long as there was a previously activated copy on the computer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
Seems you have the installation media to restore the factory backup. Frankly, I would not use that as you always get "sponsored" stuff with it.
I would recommend a clean install and create a new installation medium using the Media creation tool (DVD or USB whatever your taste is). from that you can do a clean install without all the crap of the factory setup. Unfortunately you may have to go to the manufacturers website to download some drivers.

Reaction score
I installed a new SSD this way. It only works if you have a system image made earlier. Install the SSD in the computer . Boot via an F12 startup
from a rescue disk. From advanced recovery options select system image recovery which will run like any system image.
This worked for me. Good luck..

Reaction score
A system image is good if you want what you had, could include any problems at the time it was made. I just did an HDD change yesterday and a clean install from the DVD I created after using the MCT/Media Creation Tool to download the .iso file used for creating that DVD. It also works if using the MCT to create the Bootable USB drive [8GB up to 32GB]. But a clean install does wipe out anything on the drive.

Reaction score
I didn't think about him having the factory restore medium. Still, a clean install is a way better option, even if you have to snag some drivers from the manufactures website like Grizzly says. I did a clean install on my older Acer laptop last time I swapped hard drives. The first time I just did a factory reset and spent 3 hours deleting the garbage that Acer installs with it.

Reaction score
So my hard drive died a grim and horrible death. And now I’m going to instal an SSD. I’ve never done this so I don’t know what will happen. I’ve recently factory reset the pc so there’s noting of use in the broken hard drive that’s worth cloning or transferring over to the SSD. If I remove the Hard drive and replace it with an SSD what do I do to reinstall windows? I’ve heard from a couple of people that once I replace the hard drive I just need to reset the pc to factory settings and this should reinstall windows. But someone’s now told me this won’t work.

So I’d like to know what Ways I can obtain windows in the new SSD. Preferably not the cloning HDD to SSD.

Thank you in advance to everyone that helps or attempts to help.
If it is only your HDD that went and you insert a SSD then you can either clone the HHD to SSD or you can clean install, either way your Digital License will transfer. - If you want to use the Factory reinstall method that also works.. as long as you are using the same mobo. then all is well, I have upgraded CPUs, Video, Memory, (and not issue) the only thing you can not change is motherboard.

Reaction score
The problem with a Factory Reset is that once the drive the computer came with dies or can't be booted there is no way left to do the reset and it also can't be cloned, has to be in operating condition for that. Having the Factory Restore media will be a big help but obviously take longer but is a sure way to go.

Without that media I'd just install the new drive and use/borrow a different computer to download and install the MCT/Media Creation Tool and use its process to download the .iso file for your version to create the bootable DVD disc or create the Bootable USB drive then install clean.

If Windows 10 had been installed the activation should be fairly automatic if connected to the Internet. And it should be free.

Ask a Question