Reinstalling Windows 10

Reaction score
I have successfully reinstalled Windows on my PC but the email addresses of my people/contacts have disappeared. I have manually replaced those that I know but there are a few that I don't know, Is there any way I can access these addresses.

Reaction score
Have you looked in the drive for Windows.old? May be something in the Users subFolder about Contacts. Or issue will be with the E-Mail Client you had/have installed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A solution, if one exists, will be difficult to suggest without knowing what email program / provider you used with your previous installation.

Web based email will generally store contacts on the server.
Locally installed email programs will generally have a file associated with the program that should contain your contacts.

Reaction score
A solution, if one exists, will be difficult to suggest without knowing what email program / provider you used with your previous installation.

Web based email will generally store contacts on the server.
Locally installed email programs will generally have a file associated with the program that should contain your contacts.
My email address is (e-mail address removed) and the provider is VirginMedia

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I edited you email address so as to prevent possible web crawlers / spambots from intercepting it.
Generally, it's not a good idea to post your email address on a public forum.
AND
I didn't ask for it and never would except maybe in a private message type environment.
NOW
I asked.....
what email program / provider you used with your previous installation.
SO....
Did you normally retrieve your email using a web browser by logging into Virgin Media??
OR
Did you use an email program such as Thunderbird, Mailbird, or Microsoft Outlook for example.

I'm not familiar with "Virgin Media" but perhaps someone else who is might have additional suggestions or further questions.

Reaction score
I edited you email address so as to prevent possible web crawlers / spambots from intercepting it.
Generally, it's not a good idea to post your email address on a public forum.
AND
I didn't ask for it and never would except maybe in a private message type environment.
NOW
I asked.....

SO....
Did you normally retrieve your email using a web browser by logging into Virgin Media??
OR
Did you use an email program such as Thunderbird, Mailbird, or Microsoft Outlook for example.

I'm not familiar with "Virgin Media" but perhaps someone else who is might have additional suggestions or further questions.
Ok thanks for that. I used Microsoft Outlook

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you, in fact used Microsoft Outlook.... The Full Version, then I would expect that there would likely be a PST (.pst personal store) file somewhere on your computer which you can open in Outlook anytime you want.
Personally, I store my PST file in a unique location on a different physical hard drive and when I reinstall Windows and then reinstall Microsoft Office, I'll point "Outlook" at that PST file when I reconfigure my four email accounts.

You might want to read this
To confirm which version of the various Microsoft email programs you were actually using. It can be confusing sometimes.

Reaction score
IF you, in fact used Microsoft Outlook.... The Full Version, then I would expect that there would likely be a PST (.pst personal store) file somewhere on your computer which you can open in Outlook anytime you want.
Personally, I store my PST file in a unique location on a different physical hard drive and when I reinstall Windows and then reinstall Microsoft Office, I'll point "Outlook" at that PST file when I reconfigure my four email accounts.

You might want to read this
To confirm which version of the various Microsoft email programs you were actually using. It can be confusing sometimes.
From Outlook I have located a OST file but cant open it. What do I need to do?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... you're not going to be able to open a .ost file in Outlook.
Before you do anything you might want to have a look at the last modified date and the size of the file to determine if it is something worth pursuing.
The fact that you have an OST file and not a PST file might suggest you had your account configure as an IMAP or perhaps an Exchange/ActiveSync type account.
Generally IF you setup the account identically to the previous account then you should have access to your old email and contacts (people) which are stored on the provider server.

Going forward, there are many offerings publicly available to convert OST to PST files you may want to research that avenue.
IF you have plans to do that..... MAKE A COPY, do not experiment on the original file.
They are not generally free or for that matter inexpensive but may be worth it in some instances.

Ask a Question