SOLVED Installing ubu desktop as sub

Reaction score
Hi there everyone!

I read in a news article very recently that the Ubuntu desktop could be installed as a subsystem in Windows 10. I am running 20.04 from the app store. I've seen people install desktops in the terminal but this article seemed to insinuate that you could simply install the entire Ubu desktop experience instead of having to piecemeal the Ubu experience in the terminal.

Could someone tell me what I need to do to end up with the Ubuntu desktop to work in as a subsystem?

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can see how to the install Linux system in Windows (control panel-> programs and features-> turn windows features on and off) I presume that the Ubuntu web site will tell you the next step.

Reaction score
Hi Schwim,

the following might help?. :)

Reaction score
Hi there and thanks very much Wolfie. I have WSL installed and am running ubu 20 through the app store. I had just read that the desktop could also be easily installed but after much reading since I've created this post, it seems that I must have misunderstood the article as Windows is reported as being as bad at running a GUI through WSL as it was when it first released. I'll stick to my VM.

Thanks for taking the time to help, it's greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hi Schwim,

you can also "Dual Boot" Windows and Linux which is what I do on two computers. That way nothing from each OS will interfere with the other!. :)

See also (Works with any Linux based OS basically!).

Reaction score
Hi there Wolfie and thanks very much for the reply!

I've got a couple multiboot machines but for this particular machine, I need to share data between the two's clipboards since I'm using win only software on one side and all the other stuff is being handled in a Deb 10 vm. I had mistakenly thought that MS might have made a more seamless experience than virtual box but it seems that I am mistaken.

It's not that the vbox vm is lacking. I've used it for years to run my primary work environment. I just thought I'd give it a shot after reading the article.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi Schwim,

I haven't tried the sub system way of running Ubuntu on Windows in years, there was an Ubuntu installer (WUBI) which got dropped years ago.

So is using a VM the way to go for you now?. :)

Reaction score
So is using a VM the way to go for you now?.

As it has been for over a decade. I use Windows to run two programs, games and a virtual machine. For everything else, I use Debian.

1591622220000.png

I don't care for Windows much but it's a necessity for all but a few people due to it's prevalence. Luckily, VMs have come a very long way and allow you to have a near seamless experience between the two GUIs.

Reaction score
If using a VM has solved your problem, please mark the thread as such so it helps others. Stay safe. :)

Reaction score
It definitely didn't solve my question but I understand the need for law and order so we'll just accept Window's impotence in this case as a solution :)

Thanks for everything!

Ask a Question