Reinstalling Windows 10

Reaction score
I have a computer with two separate hard drives. Windows 7 is on one and windows 10 is on the other. I had a lot of trouble a year or so ago so I disconnected the windows 10 drive and only used the computer with the windows 7 drive. This has worked fine for quite a while but now I want to have both drives working and set up a dual boot system. I do not want to damage the drive that contains windows 7 but when I try to reinstall windows 10, all I get is the computer trying to start automatic repair. This does not work and just keep shutting down again. It does not even recognize the windows 10 drive. I am not shore how to use the option where I have to use dos to choose the drive for windows to use. I have windows 10 on a cd and it has downloaded updates but I am not shore where they have gone because the correct drive does not show on the computer.
Can anybody show me hot re install windows 10 and make sure it installs to the correct drive. When I only have the windows 7 drive connected the computer shows the three partitions but when I connect the windows 10 drive it does not.

Reaction score
Hi Allan,

first you need to check how your SATA cables on the motherboard are connected. SATA 0 is your main connection for the first bootable drive, SATA 1 would be the 2nd drive and SATA 3 would be (assuming you have one) for your DVD drive. first please check your cables and make sure the bootable drive (your main OS) is connected to SATA 0. Let us know please. :)

I would connect the Win 7 drive to SATA 0 without the other drive connected first to see if it boots okay, shut the PC down and then connect the 2nd drive to SATA 1 and boot the PC with the Win 10 disk/USB stick inserted booting from that and see what happens when you choose the repair options (Advanced Startup Options). :)

See also:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/advanced-startup-options.38/ :)

Reaction score
I have a computer with two separate hard drives. Windows 7 is on one and windows 10 is on the other. I had a lot of trouble a year or so ago so I disconnected the windows 10 drive and only used the computer with the windows 7 drive. This has worked fine for quite a while but now I want to have both drives working and set up a dual boot system. I do not want to damage the drive that contains windows 7 but when I try to reinstall windows 10, all I get is the computer trying to start automatic repair. This does not work and just keep shutting down again. It does not even recognize the windows 10 drive. I am not shore how to use the option where I have to use dos to choose the drive for windows to use. I have windows 10 on a cd and it has downloaded updates but I am not shore where they have gone because the correct drive does not show on the computer.
Can anybody show me hot re install windows 10 and make sure it installs to the correct drive. When I only have the windows 7 drive connected the computer shows the three partitions but when I connect the windows 10 drive it does not.
Thank you for your reply. It may be a couple off days before I can get back on that computer again. Meantime, when the computer does start in windows 7. it says there are no drives. it has been that way ever since our tecknition installed windows 10 on our computer that was running windows 7. It works ok but I lost the ability to dual boot because last time I had trouble I disconnected the windows 7 drive and reinstalled windows 10 on the correct drive because I did not think it would install on the correct drive if I left them both connected.
NOW if i disconnect the windows 10 drive and open windows 7 everything works ok. but the drives a called Drive C and Drive D which I have renamed windows 7 and windows 10 but I noticed when I did have windows 10 installed that will change and windows 10 will be called C

Reaction score
You should disconnect the win7 drive for the win10 install, that way all the win10 stuff is on that drive, if you install with the other HD/SSD installed, windows will more than likely add some files to that drive, causing all sorts of problems with your dual boot setup...depending on how you previously installed the OS's, you may already facing that problem...

Ask a Question