Lost access to Internet after uninstalling Avast

Reaction score
I needed to uninstall Avast and, following the advice on their website, I downloaded their Avastclear and ran it. Now, although I am connected to the net, I'm getting a message saying Internet not available.

Can anyone help please and with a not too technical reply. I did try their Helpline but they were no help at all.

TIA

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like there may be a remnant or two left over.
Right click the Start Button and choose Run from the context menu
in the Run Dialog Box type
ncpa.cpl
Hit enter or click OK.
Select then Right click the network connection that you are using and choose "Properties" from the context menu.
You'll see an area labeled "This connection uses the following items"
Scroll as needed and see if you notice any component / feature there that might be linked to your former Avast installation.
IF you find any, simply uncheck it or them and OK your way back out of there.
You may need to reboot before you see any positive results.

Reaction score
Sounds like there may be a remnant or two left over.
Right click the Start Button and choose Run from the context menu
in the Run Dialog Box type
ncpa.cpl
Hit enter or click OK.
Select then Right click the network connection that you are using and choose "Properties" from the context menu.
You'll see an area labeled "This connection uses the following items"
Scroll as needed and see if you notice any component / feature there that might be linked to your former Avast installation.
IF you find any, simply uncheck it or them and OK your way back out of there.
You may need to reboot before you see any positive results.

Thank you very much for your prompt and well written response; no tech speak, so easy to follow. I did appreciate that thanks.

Sadly there was nothing there that helped.

I also received an email response from Avast who suggested I download the programme again. Clearly they don't understand, "Internet not available!"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Now, although I am connected to the net, I'm getting a message saying Internet not available.
I was under the impression that you could connect and were connected to the internet and was just receiving a "no net available" message.

Reaction score
I was under the impression that you could connect and were connected to the internet and was just receiving a "no net available" message.

Exactly that. It is telling me that I'm connected to the net and the name of my provider. Whenever I try to open a page, any page, I get a message saying, "Your Internet access is blocked." If I run Windows Network Diognostics I get a problem found response that says, "Your computer appears to be configured correctly, but the device Detected or resource (www.google.co.uk) is not responding." Obviously the url changes according to the site I'm trying to access.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try simply clicking the start button and then just type ...
cmd
The command prompt option should appear at the top of the listed results.
Right click that and choose "run as administrator"
In the "elevated" administrator's command prompt window try typing the following
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
hit enter
then type
netsh Winsock reset
hit enter
then type
exit
hit enter
Restart your computer
See if that works for you.

It occurs to me that I have very little recent experience with "Avast", so....
I don't know if has a firewall component, nor if its' removal might have impacted the normal operation / settings of the built-in Windows Firewall.

Additionally, something you might double check....
A while back, I had a particular headache as a result of a security product from a company called Sunbelt Software named Vipre.
When I removed it, it left a remnant that required my attention, so....
Right click the start button and from the context menu select Device Manager
Typically, in the Device Manager window, any problem component will have been flagged with an icon indicating a potential issue and almost automatically expanded by default.

Have a look there and see if Device manager is showing any issues, paying particular attention to "Network adapters" and the area called "System Devices" as some Software Programs will install components there that simulate actual hardware.

Ask a Question