Have Lost Windows 10

Reaction score
Hello, I recently had cause to reset my laptop because of intermittent problems, but when i went to reinstall with my system image usb all i got was a error message to say my image was compromised. ( i cannot remember the exact wording ) ,can i get windows again without purchasing a new edition. I am using a Linux Distro to send this post, thanks in advance for any advice, Cheers

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes you can.

Simply go to Microsoft's site to download the latest ISO file, and install it.

It will automatically activate because Microsoft's servers hold your digital license from the previous install, and will match that to your computer's hardware.

Just make sure you select the version you previously activated, e.g. if you had Windows 10 Home, then select Home edition.

Reaction score
Yes you can.

It will automatically activate because Microsoft's servers hold your digital license from the previous install, and will match that to your computer's hardware.

Just make sure you select the version you previously activated, e.g. if you had Windows 10 Home, then select Home edition.

Thank you for that,I did as you suggested and downloaded W10 but after 3.8gb and 4hrs of download it just vanished off my computer without installing,maybe i missed a command or something,but i have to wonder if Windows is worth the hassle, i shall think about it. Many thanks for your help. Cheers

Regedit32

Reaction score
The default location for a download, is C:\Users\[your user name here]\Downloads

If you've downloaded an iso file then it ought to be there, unless you chose to save it elsewhere.

If this iso is on the computer you want to install Windows onto, simply, right-click the iso and select Mount, then once its mounted click the Setup file to begin installing.

Reaction score
Yes you can.

Hello ,because i have lost my w10 i have downloaded a 5GB iso with a Linux Distro, so can anyone tell me how to get it installed back into my laptop where windows was originally. many thanks.

Reaction score
I have Linux Mint 19.x on a Desktop and it has a program useful for burning an .iso file so as to create an exact copy of the original DVD. Downside of a file over 4.2GB is a DVD+R/DL [Dual-Layer] 8GB disc will be needed plus a drive than can handle it, usually marked on the face of the drive tray.

EDIT: Just tried creating the disc and seems I need a new drive after several years use, sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best way is to write it to a flash drive with etcher. You'd need at least an 8gb flash drive, then set your boot order in the laptops bios (or boot menu) to boot to the flash drive first.

Reaction score
Sorry for the lateness in my reply, have written to a flash drive with etcher, it didn`t work when i restarted my laptop,i even went into BIOS and changed the startup priority to usb, no good laptop still started from harddrive with linux, every time i try to start from usb i usually get error message ( cannot read file ) or a high pitched whine from laptop or a black screen with lots of white writing scrolling fast across screen.Maybe i should use it as an anchor. many thanks for your help.

Reaction score
See if this is helpful. It might be better to use a Windows 1803 ISO or older. Newer versions may have files larger than 4 Gb and you won't be able to use a FAT32 partition on the USB stick.

Ben

Reaction score
The MCT/Media Creation Tool process will format a Bootable USB Thumb drive up to 32GB as FAT32, if the drive is larger there will be only a single partition on it up to 32GB, the remaining space above that is inaccessible. I made that error on a 64GB drive, it's a limit with Windows. I use 16GB drives so when needed I can put newer updates on them, at least back when the updates were much larger than the later ones.

Ask a Question