Lost my Windows security codes (or I didnt have them?)

Reaction score
My laptop which I purchased from new had Windows 10 installed and I pay for all the Windows 10 package.

However, my laptop developed a fault and the computer repair company (JEM Cumputers, Cupar, Fife, Scotland) repaired the fault but they could not reinstall/restore Windows 10 as they didn't have the security codes. As I pay in advance for the package and I have tried contact Microsoft but its a minefield and I got nowhere.

Question is how can I find my security codes to re-install the Windows 10 package.

Cheers
Tom

Reaction score
Windows 10 doesn't use codes when your laptop was activated originally it was registered with MS Activation servers and will automatically activate again as long as you use the same version that was originally on it. IE Home or Pro languages I would suggest your repair guy download the MCT
Also if you used your MS account to purchase the Windows 10 package if you install and log on your MS Account that will also active your reinstall of windows.

Reaction score
If you system is an OEM (Dell, HP or any others maker of Windows 10 machines) the key is in BIOS. I would contact the maker of the PC as it sounds like they replaced the hard drive. They can send you a system restore file.

Reaction score
I don't believe the Windows OS has been installed?
[They repaired the fault but they could not reinstall/restore Windows 10 as they didn't have the security codes]
Tom If you contact Dell Support and explain your problem they will send you the OEM Windows 10 install version, driver and app disks. They did that for me when my HD failed and my Laptop was out of warranty.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My laptop which I purchased from new had Windows 10 installed
IF that is true, then.....
You don't need any product key or code to install Windows 10.

You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD, http://imgburn.com/
or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, http://rufus.akeo.ie/
either of which you can use to boot your computer.

During the installation you may be prompted to enter a product key, just choose "skip it" or "later" or "not now"

NOTE: It is important that you download and install the same "version" of Windows 10 that was previously installed on your computer in order for the automatic activation to work ( Pro or Home )

Reaction score
IF that is true, then.....
You don't need any product key or code to install Windows 10.

You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD, http://imgburn.com/
or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, http://rufus.akeo.ie/
either of which you can use to boot your computer.

During the installation you may be prompted to enter a product key, just choose "skip it" or "later" or "not now"

NOTE: It is important that you download and install the same "version" of Windows 10 that was previously installed on your computer in order for the automatic activation to work ( Pro or Home )

Exactly what I would do. Clean install no bloatware, up and running in no time. I would still contact Dell to obtain the OEM installation media.

Reaction score
Here is a picture I shot during a clean install yesterday, maybe the list of questions will jog your memory, but this is for a USA install of Version 1803 Build 17134.1 then updated to Build 17134.12, the question may be different in other locales. The answer to the first question will remove that question from the second one and it will remove the question for the third.
Security Questions.JPG

Reaction score
Missed a character in my post, the Version is 1803 Build 17134.112. [New build update today]

Reaction score
Here is a picture I shot during a clean install yesterday, maybe the list of questions will jog your memory, but this is for a USA install of Version 1803 Build 17134.1 then updated to Build 17134.12, the question may be different in other locales. The answer to the first question will remove that question from the second one and it will remove the question for the third.
View attachment 8764

I have never seen that on a clean install since the beginning of Windows 10. Is that eventually bound to a certain brand name??
Or are these questions in connection with a Microsoft account??

Reaction score
I see I missed mentioning the clean install was not on a new/blank drive but that had a failed/unbootable Windows on it and the clean install was necessary to replace that OS.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It is present in a clean install of the latest Version / Build from the ISO, when.....
Choosing to use an "Offline" account with a "password"

SecurityQuestion1of3.PNG

Choose.png

AND it is unavoidable (This field is required.), you must respond to all three "security questions" by completing the answer text box before you can proceed with the install.

You can avoid it when choosing an "Offline" account, if you leave the password text box blank.
You can then proceed and complete the install and add a password to the account afterwards.

Reaction score
Exactly. The main issue is if Windows is not working one HAS to use the Offline install. To that end I keep both the Bootable USB drive and the .ISO for creating a bootable DVD on hand in addition to the updates as they become available to get things working. In the case of this Dell the whole process was slow as I had to call her back to get the answers, contrary to what some think I thank the powers-that-be for cellular phone service, can save a lot of time.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What I don't understand, is.....
The value of any such thing.

The premise is "Just in case you forget your password" or so it says below the heading.

Where are the questions and answers stored?
Are they stored locally?
Does Microsoft keep them along with my password?
IS it somehow linked to re-activating Windows 10 on the same machine?
AND
IF so..... under what circumstances will I be prompted for those answers.
Especially if I am doing a clean install on a new hard disk from the installation media created from the ISO??

Reaction score
i guess I missed out on all this since I have always installed with a local account and used my MS Account as secondary. I can't remember the last time i used a DVD or CD to install widows I guess it would have been 7 since I have no 8, 8.1 or 10 optical disk

Reaction score
The account security questionnaire has been there for my last 3 clean installs of 1803.

Reaction score
It wasn't there in 1709 for me that's the last 2 clean installs I've done, I always start with a clean disk/ssd so if it came up I would have an issue since I've never set them up. I suppose that the next time I log on with my MS Account it will have me fill all that out

Ask a Question