Lost Networking Between Windows 7 and Windows 10

Reaction score
For a couple of years I had a simple ( or so I though ) network set up so that I could move about freely between my main PC ( Windows 7 Desktop ), my Windows 10 Laptop and my KDlinks Media Player. Always worked fine except for looking back into my Destop from the KDlinks.
So, somehow it Is gone. When I go into Network in the Desktop it always said "OFFICEPC\my name". Now it says just "OFFICEPC. My Media Player that networked is called SATURN which always came up when turned on. Not there now.
I'm thinking that maybe , with help, that I should recreate the network from scratch. Networking is not my forte for sure so any help would be appreciated.
The Desktop PC is hardwired to the wireless router as is the KDlinks media player. The laptop is wireless. Connection outside to the internet is as it should be.

Reaction score
The issue may be caused also by your security program such as anti-virus or a Windows Firewall /Defender which might have conflicting settings as to not to perform certain tasks. I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall and check the result again. You would need to turn on the security programs again which you had disabled. You can find more here.

Reaction score
sorry for delay; out of town for a bit. So, I disables both my virus program (Norton) and Windows Firewall/defender. No change.
Looking out from the laptop ( 10 ) it wants to connect to OFFICEPC:my name but it is just not there anymore on the desktop. this all happened after a big update last week on both operating systems. coincidence maybe. So I am thinking about just re-doing the network with that name and with new passwords etc.
With some help as I am anything but a network pr

Reaction score
How about this; can I purge any and all network item that could be loitering around on both machines, then start with a clean slate?? Will be adding a tablet ( wife ) to this scenario soon so would like to get it sorted soon.

Reaction score
I would say, as you have the knowledge, obviously, to do that, you will solve the problem. More straightforward than ploughing through the settings.

Reaction score
Aaah; but my problem is that I don't have that skill set; wish I did obviously.

I will keep digging away at it like a dog with a bone.

Reaction score
I would, in the first instance, that, the desktop being a Windows 7 machine, it is unlikely that anything has changed from an outside source.
So, get into the Windows 10 Laptop and open the "Settings" - Network and internet
Select "WiFi" and further down the page, "Change advanced sharing settings"
The first item is the one you need "Private"
"Turn ON Network discovery and its sub heading - "Turn on automatic ….etc
Then "Turn on File and printer sharing"

Now open "All Networks" and scroll down and turn off password protected sharing.

Save the configuration and reboot the the laptop. (possibly you may need to reboot the desktop also)

See if the desktop can now see the Laptop.

Reaction score
sharing all net works.jpg

Reaction score
Did as listed had to change nothing; I believe the issue is on Windows 7 machine as not seeing "TRAVELER" which is the laptop nor SATURN which is my media player.

Reaction score
I checked under credentials on the Windows 7 machine and it looks like it is DESKTOPPC followed by "my name" that is missing rather than OFFICEPC and I think that is what the laptop and media player are looking for but there apparently is a method out there to do all I want without a home group. still digging into it.

Reaction score
It may not be part of the problem, but in your post you are showing "All Networks" That only offers the one option that is of concern to you -Password sharing.
?
This, for example, is my "Private" setup. I have four household computers tied to this. But you may be correct, as regards the Windows 7 . Perhaps a member with experience of linking Win 7 can offer an opinion. I must confess that I have never had to check names on computers, they are normally found automatically.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
I have been googling the subject. It seems you are not alone. I will be interested in any suggestions from other members as to whether there are any "work arounds" for the problem.
I could not, in fact, find any suggestions post 2015. Rather remarkable!
fwiw. I assume you are NOT using "homegroup" which became redundant a while ago?

Reaction score
No homegroup that I am aware of; disappeared !! I went through and shared everything I wanted ( most already done). Same with Windows 7 machine. Still cant see one PC from the other or the Media player. Frustrating as I am not a network guy for sure.. Annoying because it was working fine prior to updates.

Reaction score
Things That I am trying!! Went into both machines and made sure that NETBIOS was turned on and disabled ipv6 as it is not used.
Re-checked and Windows 10 is set to private while windows 7 is set to home network.
Checked workgroups names and they were different. Changed windows 10 to the same as the 7 machine.
Was told it could take 30 minutes for them to sync or show up.

Reaction score
Ok; here is some good news; came home from a short outing and checked both machines. The windows 7 machine was the same until I did a page refresh. Now I see the laptop and the media player and see into both.

Windows 10 laptop is the same. Tried to open officepc which was always there but it wants me to enter network credentials which I don't want to do plus I am not sure of the password it wants. Getting better though. Still cant see the media player from the laptop at all.

Reaction score
Saved link to favorites bar; time for bed. Thanks to all so far. If this works there is just windows 10 not seeing the media player at all. One at a time and tomorrow is a fresh day.

Reaction score
Thanks to all for all the input; Windows 7 machine is networking as it used to and can see and transfer files back and forth from the Windows 10 laptop and the Media player.

The laptop still sees nothing under Windows 10. Been away a couple of days and will continue to dig into this as best I can. I have a friend who is a local Microsoft Guru of sorts. Took a bunch of courses. When he returns from vacation I will talk to him. He wants to put together a new desktop machine for me so I will open the network issue then. I built my PC April 20 2009 so it owes me little.

Oh, and for better or worse I deleted Windows credentials on the laptop thinking I would start from scratch but I am not sure what is needing in the box and which username and password it wants. More and more to learn for my aged brain.

Ask a Question