Upgraded win10 pro lost with HD swap

Reaction score
I know I should have written down the win10 pro key after I upgraded from win 10 home. But I did not. I upgraded through the store and there was no key on my receipt. I had the hard drive replaced and now I have no way to get back to pro. I have logged in the same way I bought the key and I can't find anything listed. Please tell me how to get back to win 10 pro. Thanks

Reaction score
Have you tried the Activation feature in Settings? Win10 has a Digital License or Digital Entitlement and the Activation should access Microsoft's Servers to get that entitlement and activate. There's procedures in that feature for resolving the issue. Just a thought, a clean install or maybe reinstall on the changed drive may have worked easier if connected to the Internet at the time.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just clean install Windows 10 Pro.
IF that computer (regardless of the hard drive) has had Windows 10 Pro installed and activated on it, then you should have no problem with a clean install.
Download the ISO from Microsoft, create installation media (DVD or USB Thumb Drive) boot from the media and perform a custom clean install on your new hard drive.

Reaction score
Just clean install Windows 10 Pro.
IF that computer (regardless of the hard drive) has had Windows 10 Pro installed and activated on it, then you should have no problem with a clean install.
Download the ISO from Microsoft, create installation media (DVD or USB Thumb Drive) boot from the media and perform a custom clean install on your new hard drive.
I Have Win 10 Pro installed on a (now) Legacy Sony Laptop. I used this laptop to receive the first Windows 10 previews and have permitted automatic unassisted updates since (WHEN?) first offered. If my memory serves correctly, it had Win8.1 pro prior to the beta program. Everything works properly but I think I want to add a SSD for the primary drive. However, I believe a new or more recent laptop would be a better idea. One with faster wifi, motherboard, memory, and SSD included would make more sense. Is there a way to load the Windows PRO OS in a new laptop from my old Sony hard drive and then wipe the old Sony drive? I remember having a NEW SSD SATA 6 2.5" sitting in a dual size hard disk esata docking station> I think I was going to upgrade a HP with Win7 Pro (in my service center) to the Win10 Pro beta. I have received a brain injury since then and am almost recovered enough to think about working on my own electronics. I have that SSD with Win10 Pro somewhere. When all of my mind returns, I probably will remember where it is. Sorry for my question not being easy to comprehend. As the old saying; "I am not all here anymore). I hope to be soon. If I can find my SONY Win 8 license, there should be no problem with the new laptop?

Ask a Question