SOLVED Reset Upgraded Toshiba Laptop

Reaction score
I am working on a Toshiba laptop with a Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 10. It has issues that warrant a factory reset .It has Kaspersky and Norton Anti Theft. I cannot shut down or remove either program. Uncheck in startup and when I hit apply they recheck themselves. I was told Norton was never activated and it wants a user name and password for all changes. None have worked. When I run the reset it asks what OS and shows only Win10. When I click on Win10 it asks me to insert the Win10 disc. Since it is an upgrade none exists. I have a Win10 disc I burned when I upgraded my desktop. After doing some research I think it will work and should recognize the digital license. Looking for opinions on this. The laptop runs but is a real dog.

Reaction score
A Factory Restore usually does not run from within Windows, may have to check with Toshiba for the procedure for your model. A lot of Notebooks I've done it on had a key or key combination to press during the initial bootup to get it started but it relies on the original factory partition still existing on the HDD/Hard Disk Drive.

Reaction score
A Factory Restore usually does not run from within Windows, may have to check with Toshiba for the procedure for your model. A lot of Notebooks I've done it on had a key or key combination to press during the initial bootup to get it started but it relies on the original factory partition still existing on the HDD/Hard Disk Drive.
Right. F12 or "0" gets me into the reset system. Even though the original OS was Win8 it only gives the option of Win10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looking for opinions on this.
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a wipe and clean install.
Get the latest from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Generally, even if you get the process to work as it's suppose to, a factory reset will just put back a lot of unnecessary bloatware that you probably don't need or will ever actually use.
IF you find something that you absolutely cannot do without, then you can likely get it from the Toshiba support site for your specific make and model.
As far as the digital license..... Yes if you had been running Windows 10 on the computer and it has be activated, then you can just reinstall Windows 10 and it will activate again. No need to go back to a previous version, only to upgrade again.

OF course..... backup any critical data that may exist on the system in advance of proceeding.

Reaction score
Trouble

That's what I was thinking. Toshiba says I can "create" reset media on dvd's but as doggy as this thing is I think a "brain transplant" is in order. An OS is all I want for now. I will try the media create and if it works, fine. If not.....

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it.

Reaction score
A fresh new OS load straight from Microsoft will get rid of Norton and Kapersky. A desirable thing in my opinion now that Defender works as a modern AV tool should.

However you might need to download display and touchpad drivers from Toshiba. Do this after you have re-installed Windows.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
An OS is all I want for now. I will try the media create and if it works
Cool.
When you boot from your new installation media, you can use the Command Prompt, by holding down the Shift Key and striking the F10 key on the first page of the setup to launch a command prompt and then use
DiskPart to wipe the drive and install into the unallocated space.
Just be careful when you select the Disk Number if the machine has multiple disks.
Steps 3 thru 7 on this page is more or less a step by step guide.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en
Then exit the Command prompt and continue the installation.

That's typically what I use when performing a clean install.
You'll be prompted during the installation for a product key, just click the link that says "I don't have one"
AND
Make sure that your new installation matches your previous installation of Windows 10 (Home or Pro) and it should activate without issues, once it's connected to the internet.

Ask a Question