Upgraded from 8.1 to 10, custom gaming PC is essentially bricked, please help!

Reaction score
I have a custom gaming PC (I don't know all the parts, a friend built it) and I used to have Windows 8.1. I upgraded about a week ago, and for a few days it was running fine.

Well, one day I turn my PC on, log in to the desktop, go to open up Chrome, and then my cursor got stuck on an infinite loading loop. ctrl-alt-delete didn't work, no other apps would open, start menu wouldn't open, etc. I hard-reset my PC, and it happened over and over again. If I log into the desktop and right click, same deal. Opening any app and it happens. try to open start menu, it happens. Sometimes I'll log in, and it will go straight to freezing. Usually though, I can log in, and drag my mouse around (I use that as a tester) and I can highlight apps. It's not until I try to do something that it freezes.

Well, once I do these hard resets, I try to do the shift+restart thing on the log in page. Everything I try - reset PC, troubleshoot, restore point, etc - it always shuts down my computer. Randomly a few days ago, I turned on my PC and it worked for a few hours. I haven't had the same luck since. I was hoping I could get one good day again, so I could transfer my files to my external hard drive, and just do a factory restore...but I can't even do that! Essentially, I'm in an endless circle of freezing/restarting/shutting down. I've tried researching everything, but to no avail...

Please help me :(

Thank you!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

There may be driver issues causing this issue.

If you boot to desktop can you try getting to Safe Mode using keyboard only:
  • As soon a Desktop loads press Winkey + X
  • Next press A
  • A prompt will open. Press left arrow once then press Enter key
  • The Administrator: Command prompt will open

Type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

Press Enter key to execute command. You'll be returned to the command prompt with the message, The operation completed successfully.

Now type shutdown -r then press Enter key

A pop up will inform you computer will shut down in 1 minute. It will shutdown then restart automatically and ought to boot to your Safe Mode screen. You will be required to enter your password to login with, not a pin!

In Safe mode try using mouse again and clicking various things to see whether anything freezes or locks pc.

If it is working OK in this state then we can assume one of two things:
  • Something loading in a normal startup is causing the trouble — perhaps a third party application
  • Drivers associated with third party applications or hardware drivers not currently loaded as you are in Safe Mode are causing a conflict and thus need re-installing or updating.

At this point you could take a look at your startups and consider disabling some for testing a normal boot.

You can do that in Safe Mode by:
  • Right-clicking on Taskbar and selecting Task Manager
  • Click the Startup tab
  • Review startup items and disable those you feel may be causing issues
  • Restart computer in normal mode to see whether the issue is resolved.

You can check your drivers via Device Manager but as we are in minimal mode for now you can at best only reinstall them using drivers all ready on your computer as you have no network access in this mode.
  • To check though simply right-click on Start then left-click on Device Manager
  • Expand tree and take a look if any items have a yellow triangle or exclamation mark next to them which would indicate an issue.

Notes in red at end of this post explain the command you can use to get to boot to safe mode with networking.

To restart in normal mode we need to delete the safeboot value we added using BCDEDIT.

To do this you need to:
  • Press Winkey + X
  • Press A
  • Press the left arrow key once then press Enter key

Now type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

Press Enter key to execute command. A confirmation will appear as you are returned to command prompt saying, This operation completed successfully.

Type shutdown -r then press Enter key

Note: When computer reboots to login screen you will need to enter a password. If previously you were using a pin click the Sign in options beneath login box and choose pin.

Report back on your progress. If you can maintain a stable system in Safe Mode we may be able to proceed with further testing and help you if necessary update drivers.

Note: If drivers become the primary reason for issue using the BCDEDIT command option above you can enter the command bcdedit /set {current} safeboot network so that when you restart computer you are taken to Safe Mode with Networking, which will allow you online access to update drivers. Again, once done you can return to command prompt and enter bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot so as to allow a normal boot again once you have sorted any driver issues.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question