SOLVED Computer Management-Upgraded Internal Secondary Hard Drive

Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop running Windows 10 Pro x64. I upgraded my 500GB internal secondary drive to a 1TB drive. I did not do a quick format of this new 1TB but rather did the full, longer format. The new, upgraded 1TB secondary drive was made active and assigned the drive letter D, which is the same drive letter as the original 500GB internal secondary drive. I don't have any problems accessing this new 1TB Drive D but I notice a problem with the drive listings in Computer Management.

I know that Drive C is the OS drive and is marked Disk 0 and that my internal secondary Drive D should be marked as Disk 1. However, the internal secondary drive is listed twice, once as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting) and also as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition). I think I made a mistake during the initial formatting when I chose quick format and then cancelled the operation, instead selecting the full format.

I believe that my new, internal secondary drive should be marked in Computer Management as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition). How do I remove the extra listing "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting), which is the third listing down from the top? I don't know why is still shows as "Formatting" because when I attempt to cancel this listing it tells me that it is already formatted.

I have attached a screenshot of my Computer Management window. You can disregard "New Volume F" as this is an external 1TB drive that I use as a backup for my Drive D and also to store a redundant copy of an Acronis full backup of Drive C. I am currently transferring the information from my old 500 GB Secondary Drive D which I had previously copied to New Volume F, from the New Volume F drive to my new 1TBSecondary Drive D, the one listed as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition).

How do I remove the extra listing "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting) and if I remove it will the listing now shown as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition) be relisted as Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition) or will it still be listed as New Volume D (Simple-Basic-NTFS-Healthy Active Primary Partition)? I can't find any way to delete "Disk 1 partition 1 (Simple-Basic-Raw-Formatting)" and I don't know if I will cause problems by deleting it. In any event, I have an extra drive listing in Computer Management that should not be there.

I have also attached a screenshot of how these drives are listed on my computer under "This PC" in the Start Menu. I could be wrong, but I believe that my internal secondary drive should be listed as Local Disk D.
Computer Management.JPG
This PC.JPG

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reboot the computer and don't open any windows or start any programs.
Open an elevated command prompt and in the Administrator Command Prompt window type
winsat formal
hit enter
let it run, it takes a few seconds or so to complete
Close the command prompt
Reboot the computer
Recheck Disk Management.

Reaction score
Reboot the computer and don't open any windows or start any programs.
Open an elevated command prompt and in the Administrator Command Prompt window type
winsat formal
hit enter
let it run, it takes a few seconds or so to complete
Close the command prompt
Reboot the computer
Recheck Disk Management.

Thank you Trouble, for your prompt reply and excellent advice. I appreciate it very much. I rebooted the laptop late last night before I received your reply. The extra, incorrect drive listing was gone and everything is now back to normal. I just ordered the same 1TB drive to replace my 500 GB OS Drive C and hopefully, I'll encounter no problems. I'll probably do a clean install on it from the ISO I have stored on Drive D instead of using an Acronis backup.

Ask a Question