Cannot back my computer since I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7

Reaction score
When I try to back up my computer with the -Backup and Restore (Window 7) item I get -The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002).
I've gone to "Let me chose" and eliminated in the "Data Files" -Back up data for newly created users- and the Libraries.
In the "Computer" - Local Disk (C:) is also unchecked

Reaction score
If you are referring the the File backup and not the Imaging utility, have you tried a different location for the backup? If the Windows 7 backups are still there it may cause a problem.

Any references on your system to another drive which might be linked somehow?

Reaction score
If you are referring the the File backup and not the Imaging utility, have you tried a different location for the backup? If the Windows 7 backups are still there it may cause a problem.

None. Ever since in changed over to Windows 10 I've haven't been able to save a backup. I've formatted my back up drive and it is now empty. Again when I try to "Set up backup" in my "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" I still have the same "The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)"

Reaction score
I strongly suggest you consider Macrium Reflect (free). Widely highly regarded. I have set it to make a system image every day and have rehearsed using it to restore my C drive. It worked.

Reaction score
Thank you for the Macrium Refleck suggestion. I now have a back up copy but I would still like to solve my original issue somehow.

Reaction score
Thank you for the Macrium Refleck suggestion. I now have a back up copy but I would still like to solve my original issue somehow.
It might be insoluble (an any particular computer). Many people on this forum have advised that Windows Backup and Restore (its the same one used on Windows 7) is not reliable, and I have had a couple of cases of that. They strongly recommend Macrium (free).

Reaction score
If you're trying a system image to an external drive try naming the backup WindowsImageBackup (note caps and no spaces). I went thru a bunch of "couldn't find" messages till I stumbled upon this naming gambit.

Ask a Question