SOLVED Network - my computers cannot see each other since up date

Reaction score
Since the April Windows 10 up date - my computers on my network cannot talk to each other anymore. I cannot see them in file explorer. Prior to the update I had them all linked via Homegroup - which has been removed in this latest update. I have been through all the troubleshooting ideas I can find. It is critical all computers (I have 4 in the office) can access one anothers files.
Am I supposed to be using OneDrive as a share point? I am hesitant to do this as there are a lot of files which we share, and I am worried it will be too slow to access.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Wilbur. :)

Now that HomeGroup has been removed, you will need to set up sharing as follows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4092694/windows-10-changes-to-file-sharing-over-a-network

Be sure to turn on network discovery, as this will make it easier to find the shared documents on your network. It's explained in the article above.

As an alternative, OneDrive may be a good method if the files are relatively small.

Thank you .....
I can see how file sharing would work... and I have all the pc's set up as you have shown in the above link... my problem however, is the actual set up of the network... my computers are not visible on any of the others, so cannot share files because they cannot see each other..... I noticed on each computer when I click on "show available networks..." each pc shows a different number ie: network 3 or network 4 or network 6...... Just a guess, but should they not all be showing the same in order to "talk" to one another? Is there a way I can change each pc to be on the same page?

Reaction score
You need to click "Sharing Options", not "Show available networks". Then expand "Private" and make sure that Network Discovery and File and print sharing are enabled.

Ben

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I must be missing something else....
I have all the settings in place as described above. Sharing Options are set to private, Network Discovery is on. I even reset all network settings and started again.
I need to be able to access "Documents" from each computer. We store all of our files on one main computer, and each PC accesses the documents via the network. I just cannot "see" the other pc's. Am I looking in the wrong place? Should they not just pop up under Network in File explorer?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad it's all working for you and thanks for reporting back with the solution. I've marked this thread as solved for you :).

Ask a Question