Windows 10 Network cannot see and share files with some computers

Reaction score
I have several computers (6) that have windows 10 (1803) and one with XP Pro and Windows 7 pro. They are all connected via Ethernet cables. One PC is used primarily for my printer. All the PCs are switched off at night. The printer PC is the first to be switched on in the morning. It can see all the PCs (but one) on the network but not connect to all of them. But the other PCs five of them can only see 3 PCs (includes the Win 7 PC) The XP PC won't display the other workgroup computers )which are all in the same workgroup)
So I have two issues:
1. Why can't the XP Pro PC access the list of Workgroup PCs?
2. Why can't Network Discovery show all six PCs?

NB 1 My router a ZyXEL VMG924-B10A shows all six PCs but has not updated two computer name changes..
NB 2 I read somewhere that computer names should not exceed 8 characters in length. could be an issue for the XP PC?
NB 3 users names (all the same)

PS. I had an issue with password being reset to Turn on password protected sharing, by a recent update. In spite of ensuring that Save changes was used. There is a workaround: go to kapilarya.com he's an MVP. the rest of the URL is: how-to-turn-off-password-protected-sharing-in-windows--10. He suggest more than one solution I chose to use: lusrmgr.msc

Reaction score
update. The router displays all PCs and their names are correct (I reset it to Factory configuration). The XP PC now shows the Workgroup but only shows itself as the only member! All Pcs can be PINGed. I do not know whether this relevant or not but one of the IP addresses is n/s

I have accessed some PCs via their name and copied data. The XP PC should be decommissioned vintage 2006 but has a lot of programs that either will need to be transferred or may not even work on Windows 10.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since all the PC’s are in workgroup, a stable solution would be create a new user on all PC’s, with same name and password. Configure this new credentials on all PC’s for printer access.

Regards,
Dinesh G | Apps4Rent.com
Cloud based QuickBooks

Ask a Question