SOLVED XP to Windows 10 Network? HELP

Reaction score
I run a number of Lasers, one of which is running on old software which only works on Windows XP. I have other PC's on network running on Windows 10. The XP has internet connection switched off (ie deleted web browsers) and is only being used as a print server but I wish to be able to file transfer between computers. The network was working up to ten weeks ago to be able to transfer and could see each computer on network and then it ceased with a windows update ..... :( . I have enough knowledge to be dangerous but not enogh to be able to sort out this problem. Is there a way to clearly see file transfer between these two systems... Please help as fed up keep transfering files by USB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Determine the IP address of the XP machine, then....
From the Windows 10 computer
Open a command prompt and ping it by IP address
for example
ping 192.168.1.222 (replace with actual IP address of the XP machine
hit enter
IF that is successful
then open the run command (windows logo key + R) on your keyboard and type
\\192.168.1.222 (replace with actual IP address of the XP machine)
hit enter or click OK
That should open a file explorer window with the shares you've configured on the XP machine.

Reaction score
Hi, thank you but got error message "You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack" :(

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack
Yep.... that's something you're going to run into with older Operating Systems
Others with older Network Attached Storage Devices, running older versions of Linux have had to enable SMB1 on their systems just to get to their devices.

It's become a big deal at least since the 1709 verson, maybe even before that as it is an attack vector for multiple malware infections including some pretty vicious ransomware products.

IF you absolutely have to have it and can't do without it.....
You can toggle it on and off using
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
Left Column "Turn Windows features on or off"
Scroll down and you should be able to find it.
A reboot is required
AND
All said and done it's probably not a very good idea at all.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
OK! I hear what you are saying for the agro of using a USB, it is FAR FAR safer to remove XP maching from all networks and completely isolate it...... Thank you for your assistance :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK! I hear what you are saying for the agro of using a USB, it is FAR FAR safer to remove XP maching from all networks and completely isolate it...... Thank you for your assistance :)
Sounds like a safe, sound approach.
Good plan.

Ask a Question