Windows 10 - Disconnected computers still showing in network after being turned off.

Reaction score
Hi, in Windows 10, I have multiple computers connected to a D-link Dir-655 router, all in the same "workgroup".

I'm sitting at "A" computer. Computer "B" powers up in another room. I'm viewing computer "A's" network status to see if computer "B" shows up on the network - nothing. I have to press "refresh" to see computer "B".

Now if I turn off B or C or D computers, the icon for that computer doesn't remove itself from the "connected" networked pc's. Even If I refresh, the name/thumbnail belonging to the disconnected computer remains.

I can remember in Windows 7, it was all automatic. If a new computer joined the network, it would appear automatically or disappear automatically if the pc turned off.

Attached is the networking view i'm referring to. I can turn off 3 of those Pc's, and their names remain on the network.

Is this normal for Windows 10, or is there a setting I've missed?

Thanks for any help :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 689

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you flushed your DNS cache?

From an elevated command prompt:

Code:
ipconfig /flushdns

Reaction score
Heya Regedit32, I just tried the flush method, and yes, it makes the disconnected computers name disappear until I start them again and turn them off, then the name remains behind.

Shouldn't have to flushdns every time?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you turned Network Discovery off? I'm assuming not given you can see connected computers.

One way around this would be [after you've set up and Sharing permissions] to open an elevated command prompt then use the following command format to hide the networked computers. You'll still be able to share and access files from the computers you've given permission to, you just will not see whether they are online or not.

Code:
Net config server /hidden:yes

Reaction score
I just put one of my systems to sleep and it disappeared automatically.

There is another situation right now regarding whether other systems appear in Explorer Network window.

Ask a Question