Windows 10 laptop cannot be used to print from networked laptop

Reaction score
I have a laptop running Windows 7 that is connected to a printer. I am connected to the internet using a WiFi connection. I have a homegroup called workgroup. My wife has a laptop running Windows 7, connects to the internet using the same WiFi modem and prints using the printer on my laptop.
I downloaded Windows 10 on to my Windows 7 laptop and all of a sudden my wife can't print anymore. Microsoft, you've done it again. How I hate this!
I fooled around with HomeGroup settings on the Windows 10 laptop and the system attributes on my wife's laptop and now I can see her computer on my Windows 10 system. But I cannot see the printer on my system from her laptop.
I tried to click on my compueter from her laptop and I get a request for username and password. I don't know what username and password to use. I gather from reading the forum that I should put the name of my laptop in the username but I don't know where to look for the password. Can you help??? Thanks in advance...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's possible that you may have to reshare the printer.
As far as the authentication prompt for security credentials when attempting to access your Win 10 from your wife's Win 7 it takes the format of
Machine Name (your machine name) followed by a backslash "\" then a user name (your user name or at least a user on your Win 10 machine that has permissions to use the printer, followed by a password the password for that user name on your Win 10 machine..... like,
MyWin10machine\MyUserName
P@$$w0rd

I'll tell you in advanced Windows 10 does not like blank passwords and to make your life easier, when it comes to network sharing in general, it would help if your wife's UserName and Password (the ones she uses to log on to her Win7 machine, were present on your Win10 machine. You don't ever have to actually use them, it's just convienent if they are there with the appropriate access permissions assigned.

Reaction score
thank you for that answer. the other question I had was where do I find the password? Ifr I ever knew it I've completely forgotten as /I have no password to get on my system. If it is blank, is it straightforward to create one?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally speaking it is pretty straightforward in cases where the account you are dealing with is a local account.
You can use the Control Panel User Accounts to change the password
For a Microsoft account you would need to use login.live.com
A word of warning though.... since Windows 10 seems to be fraught with issues when it comes to passwords, always make sure you maintain at least one seperate Admin user, just in case you need to rescue yourself.
OR
Until you manage to get things sorted you can temporarily enable the hidden Administrator account for safety, which interestingly enough defaults to a blank password.
From Command Prompt (Admin) simply type
net user administrator /active:yes
hit enter
to disable it again afterwards
net user administrator /active:no

Reaction score
Well folks,
beware, the technical support provided here is not deep or necessarily accurate. The directions I received on the replies to my posts did not solve my problem and in fact got me into a more confused state. I basically gave up and I'm buying an additional printer. Microsoft is screwed up! Now I have an additional issue. I was using Intel WiDi to watch netflix movies and now that doesn't work and Intel's web site says I no longer have a compatible platform to use WiDi..
Stay away from Windows 10.... Very far away!!!

Reaction score
Hello for all :)

At the remote security area, we have to pick WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK to set our router's watchword, it's the secret key for your portable PC or mobile phone to get associated with the remote router, typically wpa2-psk is better. On the off chance that you don't need others to rub your system, you ought to pick an unpredictable secret word.

Some different remote router may be distinctive since they have DHCP administration incorporated, the router will consequently dole out an IP for your PC after it's associated effectively, this ought to work both for link router and remote router.

Reaction score
After you upgrade the system to Windows 10 from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, if your printer doesn’t work at all or doesn’t print properly, the printer driver is most probably damaged or incompatible with Windows 10. You can fix the issue by reinstalling and updating the printer driver.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Try making the printer the default printer.

Ask a Question