Windows 10 laptop cannot see shared printer in Windows vista laptop

Reaction score
Both the Windows 10 laptop and the Windows Vista laptop have discovery on and file and printer sharing on. The printer is connected to the Windows Vista laptop.
The Windows Vista laptop can see the files within the Windows 10 laptop. The Windows 10 laptop can see the Windows Vista computer but as soon as it tries to see inside it gives an error about "spelling of the name, etc." If using the diagnosis tool it says "One or more network protocols are missing from this computer". "Resolving problems as administrator" does not solve anything.

Any ideas? Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Use ipconfig from a command prompt if necessary to determine both computers IP address.
From a command prompt on both computers type
ping ###.###.###.### (replacing the # with the actual IP address of the other computer).
Determine the NetBIOS name of each computer
Make sure you can also ping each computer from the other using the NetBIOS name of the other.
On the Windows 10 compuer right click the start button and choose Run
In the Run dialog box type \\###.###.###.### (replacing the # with the IP address of the Vista computer).....
What happens?
Do you have both IP version 6 and IP version 4 enabled on both computers?

Reaction score
Use ipconfig from a command prompt if necessary to determine both computers IP address.
From a command prompt on both computers type
ping ###.###.###.### (replacing the # with the actual IP address of the other computer).
Determine the NetBIOS name of each computer
Make sure you can also ping each computer from the other using the NetBIOS name of the other.
On the Windows 10 compuer right click the start button and choose Run
In the Run dialog box type \\###.###.###.### (replacing the # with the IP address of the Vista computer).....
What happens?
Do you have both IP version 6 and IP version 4 enabled on both computers?

Thank you for your suggestions. This is what happened: I can ping one computer from each other without problems both using IP address and NetBIOS name. On running the Run dialog box, I get the same error as when I try to open the Vista computer from the folder itself: "Windows cannot access .... Check the spelling .... or click Diagnose", and the diagnose says that "one or more protocols are missing from this computer".

Regarding the IP version 6 and 4, in both computers the ipconfig shows the v4 and the v6 addresses. Finally, all I can say is that if I ping IP, the "Reply from ..." always shows the IP address of either computer. If I ping the NetBIOS name, the reply within the Vista computer shows the IP address, but the reply within the windows 10 sometimes shows the v4 address and sometimes the v6 address. I don't know whether that is informative or not.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Windows cannot access .... Check the spelling .... or click Diagnose
That error is most frequently the product of a third party security suite.....
OR
The remnants of a third party security suite, so....
IF you have anything like that installled on the Vista computer, I recommend uninstalling and then follow that up with the vendor specific proprietary removal tool. YOu can google for it.

Ask a Question