HP laptop won't boot to windows when 1st started, takes 2 times.

Reaction score
Have HP DV7-1135NR laptop that I updated to windows 10. Worked great for awhile then started having problem booting up when turned on. Will start to boot then circle of dots just stops. Won't do anything no matter how long I wait. Have to press power button to turn off and then press again and it will boot into windows fine. Took to local shop they said hard drive had problem, install solid state drive and brought home. Started ok till 1st update then back to problem. Tried uninstalling update but to no avail. Have done fresh install of windows, still has problem. Any help would be appreciated as HP won't say anything.

Reaction score
Hi,

Enable boot verbose, so that windows will display what it's dowing during the boot process and it can give you a clue

Also enable boot log, so windows will log the boot events in C:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt file

Hope this will help.

Reaction score
A system not booting the first time usually means some driver is not being install correctly. You may find the problem using a boot log, as mentioned, and you can also try turning off Fast Startup which is on the Power settings for what buttons do.

Since a power on boot does not have previously loaded drivers in memory, it probably needs to restart so it can see them the second time.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might try testing with "fast boot" disabled and see if that provides any relief.
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options
Left column "Choose what the power buttons do"
Click the link near the top to "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
Untick the box next to "Turn on fast startup (Recommended)"
Click "Save changes" button

capture1-png.8694

Test with a full shut down and restart (cold boot).

Reaction score
In settings select Accounts, then "Sign in options". Scroll down to "Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart", and turn it off.

Ask a Question