SOLVED Can't network computers

Reaction score
After installing the latest feature update to two computers, I can no longer network my computers. I know homegroup in no longer available, but I never used it anyway.

Reaction score
After running network troubleshooter, I get the following error message "Your user account doesn't have permission to access "\\laptop3\c"". I get the same message for both computers even though both are logged in as administrators. The hard drive on both machines are set to allow sharing.

Reaction score
Ok, more information. I have a tablet that I have not yet updated. Both laptops can access the tablet, and the tablet could initially access the laptops, but no longer able to do so. The laptops can still access the tablet.

Reaction score
Have tried everything suggested to no avail. Here's a summary of what has been done and results.

1. Made sure of ownership of files on each computer
2. Made sure permissions have been made for users
3. Reset network on each computer to no avail.
4. Changed the name of the workgroup to be the same on each computer
5. Made sure advanced sharing options are set for sharing

when I try to access files on the other updated computer, I get "your user account doesn't have permission to access"...

I can access files on my unupdated tablet.

Doesn't matter if I log in using the Microsoft account or Local account.

Reaction score
You might try sharing a folder on the inaccessible systems. That should allow them to be seen on the network.

The other thing, which I have to do with my NAS is to look for the computer name using the explorer address, like \\computername\account. This should ask for a password and set up a credental for that access.

There seem to be several threads about this so you should be able to find a good solution.

Reaction score
Basically solved by searching for "your user account doesn't have permission to access" in older posts on this forum that for some reason I can no longer find. Here's what was suggested in that post.

Go to: control panel/programs and features. Select "Turn Windows Features on or off". Scroll down to "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". Be sure client and server boxes are clicked. Leave automatic removal unclicked.

Still can't directly access the "c" drive from one of the laptops, but can access the folders stored on that drive. Therefore, I can access everything I need.

Reaction score
Still can't directly access the "c" drive from one of the laptops, but can access the folders stored on that drive. Therefore, I can access everything I need.
The same can happen with NAS drives, have 2 connected via Ethernet cable to my Wireless Router. I can't Map the root of the drives but can work fine Mapping the Public Folder on each of them using either Wired computers or Wireless/Wi-Fi Notebooks, either Windows, Macintosh or Linux.

Ask a Question