Cannot shut down my computer since installing windows 10

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have installed windows 10 a couple of days ago and since doing so I cannot shut down my computer. Every time I try to shut it down the screen goes black and it stays like that until the battery runs out. When the computer sleeps the same thing happens.

I have done a system restore twice but it did not help. I don't know what to do now.

Can you please help me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you please help me.
IDK, Anna.
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful if somewhat aggravating world of Windows 10. :)

A couple things to try first.

Right click the Windows Logo on the bottom left of your screen and choose "shut down" from that menu.
Does your computer shut down then?

Open an admin command prompt
Right click the Windows Logo and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and type
shutdown /s /t 00

If yes to both then examine your power.cfg settings.
Take a look

powerbuton.JPG

Reaction score
IDK, Anna.
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful if somewhat aggravating world of Windows 10. :)

A couple things to try first.

Right click the Windows Logo on the bottom left of your screen and choose "shut down" from that menu.

shutdown /s /t 00

If yes to both then examine your power.cfg settings.
Take a look

View attachment 612

Hi Trouble,

I tried it and it did not work, I still had to press the button continuously for the laptop to shut down. Windows 10 is so complicated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So.......
neither the shutdown command from the command line
NOR
The right click Windows Logo shutdown
work to shut down your computer?

Reaction score
Neither of them worked. I press shut down and it shows on the screen shut down and then the screen goes black. However, the light of the shut down button and the Wi-Fi is still on and it stays like that unless I continuously press the shut down button, that is when the computer shuts down.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
and it stays like that unless I continuously press the shut down button, that is when the computer shuts down.
Not good.....
My best guess is that it is some third party software, maybe from the computer manufacturer for "power saving" / "energy management".
Perhaps you might take a look in the programs and features applet in the control panel and see if there is anything there that might suggest it is related to a power scheme or feature. Practically all new computers, especially laptops come with something from the manufacturer.
If found you might try uninstalling that.
Then I might suggest that you use the Power Options in Control Panel, to set your scheme to High Performance for now and see if that might help.
Other than that, perhaps some specifics regarding the actual computer we're dealing with might help.
Manufacturer Name, Model Name, Model Number, etc., etc.
Perhaps someone with the same or similar computers has the same issue and might have figured out how to fix it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just ran into this problem when I just now upgraded my wife's Windows 7 machine to Windows 10.
It was defaulting to sleep or some type of hibernate / hybrid sleep.
I went into Control Panel -> Power Options -> Link on left Side "Choose what the power buttons do
Link at top of page "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
Unchecked "enable fast startup" or words to that affect.
Saved and closed.
Works fine now.
Who knew.
Probably plenty of people, but unfortunately not me, until I had to figure it out.

Reaction score
Just ran into this problem when I just now upgraded my wife's Windows 7 machine to Windows 10.
It was defaulting to sleep or some type of hibernate / hybrid sleep.
I went into Control Panel -> Power Options -> Link on left Side "Choose what the power buttons do
Link at top of page "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
Unchecked "enable fast startup" or words to that affect.
Saved and closed.
Works fine now.
Who knew.
Probably plenty of people, but unfortunately not me, until I had to figure it out.

Hi,

Thank you for your help but the problem persist. My computer does not show me a high performance option on the power plan.

upload_2015-8-7_16-41-10.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My computer does not show me a high performance option on the power plan.
How about if you click the drop down arrow to the right of "Show additional plans"?

Reaction score
I have found the high performance option now. I changed it and it shut downs completely sometimes other times I have to still press the button. Thank you very much for your help

Reaction score
Hi again, after I changed to high performance the problem came back. I really don't know what to do

Ana

Reaction score
Hi Anna. I'm having the same problem has you with my pc. Do you know how to fix it ? anyone?

Reaction score
shutdown /s /t 1
the number 1 is the same as shutdown any program this wants to continue to run.
much faster than /s /t 0

if this does not help. and it is a laptop....
1. unplug the adapter
2. hold the power button for 3s - that should shutdown the computer
3. remove the battery
4. press and hold power button down for 1min.
5. insert the power adapter (not the battery)
6. press power button to start.
this should recycle the power adapter setting an let the laptop now function properly.
7. insert the battery
8. the charge indicator should show charging
9. right click the logo and select shutdown

Ask a Question