Win 10 crashes at shutdown; cannot upgrade to latest build

Reaction score
My system, an Asus K55A laptop, is getting a "Your PC ran into a problem..." frown-face bluescreen with the error code "Critical Process Died"; every time I select Shut Down. I have to click the power icon/Shut Down to get the system to power off.

Separately, when I power up and log back on, I get the message "we couldn't find the location of your OneDrive folder." even though I have previously set it up correctly.

Finally, there is an update available (14267), but because the system crashes when it shuts down or restarts, I cannot update the system; when I click the Restart now button, I get the frown-face bluescreen. Whatever is causing the crash is suppressing the update process (which has worked successfully previously). I never get the "Updating Windows" screen with the percent count; instead I always get the login screen.

I don't know whether all of the above issues are related or not. Currently running is Build 14257.rs1_release.160131-1800. This system originally ran Windows 8; I upgraded to Win 10 Pro via CD which I downloaded and burned on a separate system.

I would appreciate any help in resolving this problem; let me know if I can provide any additional information. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
This is an Insider build. There is a separate sub forum for Insider stuff now.

FWIW my Lenovo Ideapad which was originally W8/8.1 and has run all Insider builds mostly OK, upgraded 14257 to 14267 without problems. I would try sfc/scannow first, remove any aftermarket AV programs and try again.

Reaction score
I have re-posted this under the Insider forum. Please post future replies to the new post. Thank you

Reaction score
My system, an Asus K55A laptop, is getting a "Your PC ran into a problem..." frown-face bluescreen with the error code "Critical Process Died"; every time I select Shut Down. I have to click the power icon/Shut Down to get the system to power off.

Separately, when I power up and log back on, I get the message "we couldn't find the location of your OneDrive folder." even though I have previously set it up correctly.

Finally, there is an update available (14267), but because the system crashes when it shuts down or restarts, I cannot update the system; when I click the Restart now button, I get the frown-face bluescreen. Whatever is causing the crash is suppressing the update process (which has worked successfully previously). I never get the "Updating Windows" screen with the percent count; instead I always get the login screen.

I don't know whether all of the above issues are related or not. Currently running is Build 14257.rs1_release.160131-1800. This system originally ran Windows 8; I upgraded to Win 10 Pro via CD which I downloaded and burned on a separate system.

I would appreciate any help in resolving this problem; let me know if I can provide any additional information. Thanks in advance.

Ask a Question