I have an HP Envy 4. It originally came with Win 8.1 and was upgraded to Win 10 a short time ago. Ve

Reaction score
I have an HP Envy 4. It originally came with Win 8.1 and was upgraded to Win 10 a short time ago. Very soon after upgrading to Win 10 when powering up I got the blue screen and it kept doing the system check, couldn't get back into Windows.

I used the recovery disks and set the preference to Factory Reset. It went through the reset and it failed, several times.

I went into DOS and looked at the HD's, It has an SSD drive 80Gb and a SATA drive 500Gb. It showed the SSD drive with 80GB but the SATA drive with 224mb available. I tried to format the SATA drive and it came back with protected (Win 10?). I also went into DISKPART and tried to clear it that way with no luck. I also used CHKDSK on the drive and it came up with protected.

What can I do to get this laptop to recover? Buy a new SATA Drive?

Reaction score
I don't believe you need a new Sata Drive. Have you have tried booting from the installation media.
I would try that first. Personally I would do a clean install of Windows 10, A fresh start with a clean clutter free HDD

Reaction score
As I said, I have used the recovery disks, but they are the original Win 8. I don't have a recovery disk/boot disk for Win 10.

Reaction score
Create your own Windows 10 ISO, burn it to a CD or USB. I you are going to create the install media on a USB it should be least an 8GB USB. The last time I checked the ISO download was 4.1 GB. I don't know what operational state your PC is in. If possible create a system image and create a restore point if possible?
ISO download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Ask a Question