SOLVED Put Back a Password for the Bootup Login Screen after It Had Originally Been Bypassed

Reaction score
On my Windows 10 laptop computer, I am the only user at the moment so obviously I am the administrator.

I have made the settings on my computer so that I do not have to put in a password on the login screen when I turn the computer on. In other words, when I turn on the computer, I am automatically logged straight into my account.

What I would like to do is add another family user(s) (if possible as another administrator) so that they have their own password to log into their own account. This I know how to do.

Because I have no password on my own account, I don’t know how to put a password back so I then need to login to my account with a password to separate it from a different account.

Once this is achieved, then I would like to see 2 or more users on the login screen for us to choose from and use our own password to login to our relevant accounts.

Firstly, Can somebody tell me how I put back a password to my own account to start with?

Once I have solved this, I feel I will be okay to set up the other accounts after this has been achieved.

Thanks in advance

HB

Reaction score
I tried that way but it didn’t work. I don’t know what I did but I ended up changing my Microsoft account password.

Would my Microsoft account password be the same as the bootup screen password now that I’ve changed it?

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would my Microsoft account password be the same as the bootup screen password
That would probably depend on whether you are logging in with a Microsoft ID or if you are using a local account not associated with your Microsoft ID.

You can certainly look into that configuration and or change it by simply looking at
Settings -> Accounts

Typically if you are using a Microsoft ID then
the account will likely be shown with an email account associated with it there.

Likewise you should see a link that will say either
Sign in with a local account instead or the opposite suggesting you use a Microsoft account

Reaction score
Going into Settings > Accounts, it is saying, ‘Manage my Microsoft account’ and below that it is saying, ‘Sign in with a local account instead.’

So does that mean that my password will be the Microsoft account that I should set for the boot screen so that Windows does not start-up automatically?

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
WE seem to be on the verge of completing a circle.
Change or unchanged, a Microsoft Account / ID, by its' very nature needs a password and without fail will have one associated with it, it will generally be an email account from someone that you have associated with your Microsoft account.
Using that account name and password to log on to your computer is pretty straight forward and using whatever method you may have employed to auto-login without the need to type in a password, does not alter anything anywhere.
The account still has a password associated with it
AND
Additionally may also have (in so far as your computer is concerned) a PIN number, a Picture password, and might also depending on the computer include Windows "Hello" or some additional biometric facility to augment the login process.
So.....
I guess you need to figure out what you did to support the "no need to actually type a password" and undo it.
netplwiz
AND
control userpasswords2
are the two most common methods which basically just set a group policy object setting, which in turn flips a value within the Windows Registry.

Reaction score
Okay, I managed to add a password for the boot screen (it was my Microsoft account password) and I have added another account for my family member. I have also made this new account an administrator account as well. Thanks very much for your advice.

I have noticed, that when going into the new account, the desktop is showing the exact same apps that I have on my account desktop. This is fine in some cases because it saves me putting them on anyway. The trouble is, because I am disabled and use Dragon on my account, Dragon is also loading on the new account.

I don’t want Dragon to load on the new account (only on my account). How do I stop Dragon loading on the new account? Can I uninstall it on the new account or not?

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When logged in as the "new account" you might try checking these two places.
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
And in the Windows Registry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
IF "Dragon" is in either or both, remove it.
See if that helps at all.
Those are the two places that I know, impact a particular user and should not effect your other account.

Reaction score
I found the reason why this was happening. It was because I had the shortcuts for the programs in the all users startup folder. When I transferred them to the start-up folder that belonged to my account name, then they didn’t load up on the new account. I think this is what you were alluding to in your previous post anyway.

Does that mean, if I put a shortcut on my desktop now, it will not show up on the new account‘s desktop? Or, will it mirror image on the new account’s desktop if I do this?

Thanks

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does that mean, if I put a shortcut on my desktop now, it will not show up on the new account‘s desktop? Or, will it mirror image on the new account’s desktop if I do this?
Generally speaking your "Desktop" and its' contents are unique to your profile, but.....
I've seen the occasional weird occurrence where a shortcut that was added or deleted from one user's desktop was replicated to other user's desktop, which is not often the case but does happen sometimes.

Reaction score
I'll keep an eye on it. I didn't know if there was such a folder somewhere that was unique to each users desktop.

Thanks Trouble.

HB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.....
C:\Users\Your User Name\
Is your "Profile" folder, which contains sub-folders (desktop, music, downloads, videos, documents, etc, etc.)
Which are, or at least should be, unique to your account.

Ask a Question