SOLVED Login screen only has picture and no where to put password

Reaction score
this problem started when I change my MSI gaming app from gaming mode to overclock mode and it asked my to reset. So I reset and I get to the login screen I click to move the date and time out of the way then the space to put the password doesn't appear. I've tried turning it off completely, restarting, holding shift while restarting, window key and x don't do anything and crtl alt delete didn't do anything.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi problems I has,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are a number of tactics to try which can resolve this issue. I'll provide you a couple to try now.
  • Start your computer and allow it to boot to the lock screen
  • Click / Tap the lock screen to reveal the logon page
  • In the bottom right corner of logon screen you should see your Power icon
    • Left-click once on the Power icon to reveal three options: Sleep | Shut down | Restart
    • Now press down and keep holding your Shift key down while at same time left-clicking on Restart
    • Release the Shift key after left-clicking on Restart
  • After a few seconds you will be taken to a blue screen with three options. Select Troubleshoot
  • This will take you to another blue screen with two options. Select Advanced options
  • This will take you to the Advanced Options screen. Select Startup Settings
  • This will take you to the Startup Settings screen. Click the Restart button
  • You'll be taken to another blue screen with a list of choices. Press your F5 key to select Option 5 which is to Enable Safe Mode with Networking
  • Your computer will now restart and boot to the Safe Mode with Networking logon page. Sign-in using the password you normally sign-in with.
  • Once you are signed-in, press your Windows key + R together to open the Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type services.msc then click OK
  • When the Services window opens scroll down and right-click on Credential Manager & select Properties
  • In the Credential Manager Properties window that opens, next to Startup type click the drop arrow and select Automatic
  • After selecting Automatic click the Start button situated just below the Startup type
  • Now click Apply then click OK and close the Services window
  • Next press Windows key + R again to re-open the Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type msconfig then click OK
  • In the window that opens select the Boot tab
  • Remove the check next to Safe boot then click Apply and now click OK
  • A prompt will popup. Click Restart button
  • Your computer will restart and boot to your lock screen
  • Click / Tap the lock screen to return to Logon screen where all going well your Password field will now be seen.
If the password field is still not present, then you will need to boot back into Safe Mode by pressing and holding down the Shift key while left-clicking on the Power icon and left-clicking on Restart as you did earlier.

Then select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings and click the Restart button

Then again press F5 key to select Enable Safe Mode with Networking

When the computer restarts, sign-in again to the Safe Mode Desktop

Next right-click the Start flag and select Settings > Accounts

Next on the left side of Account window select Sign-in options

Now on the right side locate the Password section of screen, and click the Change button

You will be prompted to enter your current password. Enter your password then click the next button

This takes you to another screen where you enter a new password, repeat that new password, and type a password hint normally. Ignore ALL of these fields! DO NOT type anything in these fields at all!

Having left those three fields blank click the Next button, then on next screen click the Finish button

Close the Accounts settings window

Now right-click on the Start flag and select Shut down or sign out > Restart

Your computer will restart and take you to the lock screen. Click/Tap it and hopefully the password field will present itself now. Don't forget you currently have no password, so assuming you can now sign-in set the password back up via Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Change password button

Regards,

Regedit32

Regedit32

Reaction score
Do you have a Windows 10 bootable DVD or USB thumb drive then?

You could boot from that to get to a Recovery Console, where you can choose Startup Settings and select option 5

If you do not, then take a look in our Article Section where you will find an article on how to create such a disk or thumb drive.

Reaction score
I put the windows 10 bootable disk in and nothing happened
Hi problems I has,

did you press at least one keyboard button when booting from the disk, you only have 5 seconds to respond otherwise it will boot from the hard disk! (A message appears onscreen: "Press any key to boot from disk"!). :)

Ask a Question