Windows 10 Preparing Windows after login then black screen

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have an Acer Aspire One Cloudbook 14 laptop that I've had for about a year and a half, and a week or two ago, I tried to clear some memory from off of my laptop (I already cleared all unused apps and it still said I had nearly no memory for updates) so I tried to manually clear the hard drive and used the command console to do so (I can't remember which commands I used).

Ever since, whenever I switch my laptop on and logon, it says the standard 'Welcome' message then followed by 'Preparing Windows' and takes about 5-10 minutes to come on then it'll come on and it'll be a black screen for about 15 minutes or so until the background comes on; and for me to select anything, I'll have to go into Task Manager > Details >Run New Task > Explorer.exe

Is there a way that I can stop this 'Preparing Windows' issue?

Reaction score
Ok so you need to go into settings then security and updates, on the left of pane click trouble shooting scroll down to fix windows update use this as administrator and let it finish and fix, then click "check for updates" so any updates that failed or got corrupted will be downloaded and installed. If the version you are running is 1703 when it has finished and fixed the failed updates click "check for updates " again and the Fall creators update will be next to install , it takes about 2hours to complete leave it to do its thing and you will have a fresh version of the latest windows 10. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply, but I can't access the start menu so therefore, I can't get into my Settings the way I normally would. Is there another way?

Reaction score
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply, but I can't access the start menu so therefore, I can't get into my Settings the way I normally would. Is there another way?

Ok i think when you say you cleared some memory you mean you uninstalled programs to make room for updates.
So restart the pc and place your finger over the f8 key, and as soon as you see the acer logo keep tapping the f8 key until you see the advanced boot options and scroll down to safe mode with networking which is f5 key to scroll all these options use the arrow keys right of the keyboard not the numbered ones.
Once you are in safe mode you will notice things are slightly different because safe mode loads only the minimum of files to get you started to repair your pc. Now on the task bar click on the magnifier and type into the box
chkdsk this will appear at the top of the panel you just typed from and you will se at the top chkdsk right click this and click use as administrator , the program will run to check files on your disc and repair any that are damaged or corrupt let it run without stopping it and when it is finished go backt to the magnifier and this time type sf /scannow
there is a space after the sf then forward slash scannow, same as before when you see this at the top right click and use as administrator this tool will check all the operating system files and check all the clusters on your disc let it run and when complete shut down your pc using start and shut down. restart your pc and see if it has made any difference to performance.

Reaction score
1. I don't think F8 will get you into Safe mode nowadays? F12 or F2 might be the better options, but , if no one in this forum answers, google for the Acer method, I have no means of checking it,
2. The correct command referred to is sfc /scannow. (space after sfc)

But, I read that you can access the taskbar, but not the start menu?

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. I don't think F8 will get you into Safe mode nowadays? F12 or F2 might be the better options, but , if none on this suite answers, google for the Acer method I have no means of checking it, but am not too 2. The correct command referred to is sfc /scannow. (space after sfc)
But, I read that you can access the taskbar, but not the start menu?
Yeah typo tried to edit after posting but it won't let me change it to sfc /scannow

Ask a Question