Desktop Black Screen after "preparing windows repair"

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a bit of an issue with my desktop here. It's a homebuilt model that I got ahold of used, and added a couple upgrades. It's been fine for the past several weeks I've been using it, until today.
I started it up this morning and it was REALLY slow, wouldn't open any programs and pretty much just gave me the spinning blue wheel. I restarted it and went into task manager to stop some features, as my disk usage was at 100% (I figured that was my problem). This worked for a little while, then it basically froze up on me again. Another hard reboot, and couldn't even open task manager.
So one more reboot, and now I've got a screen that says "Preparing Windows Repair" for a couple seconds. The screen then goes black, and I let it be for about an hour or so with no dice... Anybody got some advice?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
until today.
I started it up this morning and it was REALLY slow, wouldn't open any programs and pretty much just gave me the spinning blue wheel. I restarted it and went into task manager to stop some features, as my disk usage was at 100% (I figured that was my problem). This worked for a little while, then it basically froze up on me again.
And it continues a downward spiral from there.

It sounds to me like (and this is just a guess) your computer was doing its' dead level best to complete an update and then you shot it in both knees.
And then
Another hard reboot, and couldn't even open task manager
the coup de grâce.

I'm thinking, you need to first make sure you reduce your hardware environment to the bare essentials, USB wired keyboard, USB wired mouse, a single Monitor and an Ethernet cable and then you need to boot from the installation media.
Get the latest ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
Either of which you can use to boot your PC.

Then use the "Repair your PC" link on the second page of the installation process following the keyboard and language page and use that to get to the Advanced Troubleshooting options and see if you can get it to boot into
Safe Mode with Networking, by selecting "Startup settings"
Screen3.JPG

Screen4.JPG

Screen5.JPG

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

And it continues a downward spiral from there.

It sounds to me like (and this is just a guess) your computer was doing its' dead level best to complete an update and then you shot it in both knees.
And then the coup de grâce.

I'm thinking, you need to first make sure you reduce your hardware environment to the bare essentials, USB wired keyboard, USB wired mouse, a single Monitor and an Ethernet cable and then you need to boot from the installation media.
Get the latest ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
Either of which you can use to boot your PC.

Then use the "Repair your PC" link on the second page of the installation process following the keyboard and language page and use that to get to the Advanced Troubleshooting options and see if you can get it to boot into
Safe Mode with Networking, by selecting "Startup settings"
View attachment 6006

View attachment 6007

View attachment 6008

Thanks Trouble,

I let the computer sit and just do its thing for overnight (I'm in a bit of a temporary living situation so I don't have any of my flash drives). It got to to the settings and I tried to reboot it in safe mode (w/o networking as I had been using WiFi, and I unplugged my USB wifi adapter). We'll see if it will reboot or not now, got a black screen with Windows symbol for a couple minutes, now just black screen, so I'll let it sit while I head out to class for the day...

Reaction score
Ok, so now I've got a message saying to "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".
I don't want to screw this up any more than it already is, so do I just shut it off and turn it back on again? Or do I need to download some boot media somehow and do that? I should already have boot media on my hard drive, right?
When I first got this computer I had to reinstall Windows in the first place, and I used the hard drive to do so...

Reaction score
OK, another update,
I finally got the windows ISO on a flash drive. Tried to start up the computer it loads for about 15 min, then says it encountered an error, and restarts itself, then it works. But now in the advanced settings I can't restart in safe mode. Startup settings is missing, so I tried the bcdedit thing, but i got an error saying "the volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid". Not sure what to do at this point? Should I try a system restore? Or try to reinstall windows?
And one other thing, I noticed that as its trying to boot up to the install page my hdd keeps cycling on and off, over and over again, never had it do that before... Could my hard drive be the culprit here?

Reaction score
One more update... I tried startup repair to see what would happen. This is the message i was given:
Recovery
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

the boot configuration data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system.

File: \Boot\BCD
Error code: 0xc0000098

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have... blah blah blah.

Upon further investigation it looks as though my hdd had disappeared from the boot sequence in my bios menu temporarily, and then it popped up again. So I think that does it... Is my hard drive toast? That's what it's looking like to me... Is there any way I can recover whats on my hard drive if it really has gone kaput?

Thanks,
Alex

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Upon further investigation it looks as though my hdd had disappeared from the boot sequence in my bios menu temporarily, and then it popped up again. So I think that does it... Is my hard drive toast? That's what it's looking like to me
It may be. IF you've checked the interface and power connections and confirmed that they are firmly seated.
IT might be worth investing in another hard drive to further the diagnostic process.
Is there any way I can recover whats on my hard drive if it really has gone kaput?
It's possible.....
You can pull it and attach it to another computer and see if you can rescue its' contents.

Reaction score
It may be. IF you've checked the interface and power connections and confirmed that they are firmly seated.
IT might be worth investing in another hard drive to further the diagnostic process.

It's possible.....
You can pull it and attach it to another computer and see if you can rescue its' contents.

I did check the connections, and they seem good, even tried to jiggle them a bit to see if that would do anything. I've noticed that at times, the HDD light stays on 100% of the time (doesn't blink). And other times the light is completely out. Earlier on in this the light was on all the time, but now it is on solid intermittently, could that indicate anything?
I tried to start the computer again this morning, and it goes straight to that error page now, and gives me no options (E.G. I either turn off the computer or it just stays on that screen forever). I can try to take a pic of this if you'd like...

If I get another hard drive I just plug in my flash drive and boot from the windows installation media? And will it work over WiFi to reinstall Windows on the new HDD(I currently have no access to an Ethernet connection)?

Thanks again for your help,
Alex

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping for a driver problem, hence my recommendation to attempt starting the PC in Safe Mode, however......
The new error about your boot device and the related BCD (Boot Configuration Data) would suggest that some important files on the disk are missing or otherwise corrupt.
Sometimes running Startup Repair from the Advanced Troubleshooting options will fix that, with some suggestions that running it three (3) times to get the problem repaired, although I personally haven't had a lot of luck with Startup Repair and have better luck, trying to fix it myself manually.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues
If I get another hard drive I just plug in my flash drive and boot from the windows installation media?
Yes
And will it work over WiFi to reinstall Windows on the new HDD(I currently have no access to an Ethernet connection)?
You don't actually need an internet connection to install Windows 10 from the installation media you've created from the ISO.
As a matter of fact.... IF you are using a USB Dongle for your wireless connection, my suggestion would be to remove it until the installation is complete.

Reaction score
Sometimes running Startup Repair from the Advanced Troubleshooting options will fix that, with some suggestions that running it three (3) times to get the problem repaired, although I personally haven't had a lot of luck with Startup Repair and have better luck, trying to fix it myself manually.

Right now my problem is that now I can't even get to the troubleshoot options, it just goes straight to that error code, I will try to start it up again and see if it will get that far though... If I can get to the repair menu, I will try running the manual startup repair. What command do you think I should start with if I can get to that point?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's a homebuilt model that I got ahold of used
Most systems have a method of evoking something called a "One time boot menu" which usually involves striking a F key during post and is often indicated on the POST screen along with how to get into the system setup utility (BIOS).
Unfortunately they are often different so you might check on line for your particular motherboard and rev. # and see if the manufacturer provides this information.

I said that because you need a reliably dependable means of booting from the installation media consistently.
Right now my problem is that now I can't even get to the troubleshoot options, it just goes straight to that error code
When you boot from the installation media, you shouldn't have any issues using the Repair your computer link to traverse the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
AND
You shouldn't see any error messages unless, for some reason, your installation media has been damaged.
What command do you think I should start with if I can get to that point?
I typically just run
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

All three in that order, one after the other in the same command prompt window and then restart.
Worth a try.

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try the bootrec commands, and I guess I'll also try to re-burn my installation media, as it wouldn't even go to the screen with the "repair your computer" link.
Hopefully this works!
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Ok, so I tried your idea, and still couldn't get it to boot up properly unfortunately. All I got was the repair your computer page again. I decided to try to run the repair one more time, and no dice. Upon restarting I got a black screen w/ spinning wheel. So I let it sit while I went to classes for the evening.
I just got back, and now I have an error code: 0xc000000e
"The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors."

That and upon bootup on the initial bios scan screen? (Not sure what to call it) my hard drive is no longer being detected, even with a different SATA cable. It won't even go to the repair page anymore, even if booting from my flash drive with the installation media.

Sorry to keep pestering you about this... but what do you think I should do now?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
what do you think I should do now?
IDK, but.....
It sounds like you may have something serious going on.
I would suspect that your hard drive is an issue and it may very well be, but......
You should be able to literally, remove the hard drive physically and put in on the shelf next to your desk and still be able to boot your computer reliably and consistently from the installation media.
Even though you won't have anywhere to install the OS to, the Windows PE / RE (Pre-Installation Environment / Recovery Environment) should still boot the system.

As a matter of fact you may want to experiment by doing just that, physically remove the hard disk or at least disconnect the power and SATA cable from it and see if you can then boot the installation media.
I suppose, that it's possible that there could be something mechanical or even electronically wrong with the hard disk that might be somehow disrupting the normal POST and or boot process.
I no that I've connected faulty hard drives to my computer before for testing and it seems to, on occasion lock up the system when trying to identify and enumerate the disk and its' contents.
That would be my best guess, although at best.... It's just a shot in the dark

upon bootup on the initial bios scan screen? (Not sure what to call it)
That would be the "POST" screen (Power On Self Test) or at least that's what I've always called it.

Reaction score
IDK, but.....
It sounds like you may have something serious going on.
I would suspect that your hard drive is an issue and it may very well be, but......
You should be able to literally, remove the hard drive physically and put in on the shelf next to your desk and still be able to boot your computer reliably and consistently from the installation media.
Even though you won't have anywhere to install the OS to, the Windows PE / RE (Pre-Installation Environment / Recovery Environment) should still boot the system.

As a matter of fact you may want to experiment by doing just that, physically remove the hard disk or at least disconnect the power and SATA cable from it and see if you can then boot the installation media.
I suppose, that it's possible that there could be something mechanical or even electronically wrong with the hard disk that might be somehow disrupting the normal POST and or boot process.
I no that I've connected faulty hard drives to my computer before for testing and it seems to, on occasion lock up the system when trying to identify and enumerate the disk and its' contents.
That would be my best guess, although at best.... It's just a shot in the dark

That would be the "POST" screen (Power On Self Test) or at least that's what I've always called it.

Thanks again for all of your help. I've noticed that if I remove my flash drive and reinstall the ISO on it, it will boot up to the recovery screen. I've been messing around a bit more with the sata and power cables for the hard drive, and got it to recognize in BIOS. I'm currently trying to boot from the hard drive, but I seriously doubt its going to work... That and now the hard drive is clicking about every 3 seconds now (definitely does not sound healthy).
I'm going to try to reboot with it unplugged and just use the flash drive, and I think tomorrow I'm going to pick up a new hard drive for it and reinstall windows. Is it true that I won't need my Product Key in order to reinstall windows once i get to that point?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it true that I won't need my Product Key in order to reinstall windows once i get to that point?
Yep.
Assuming you have had Windows 10 installed on that machine and it was "activated".
Then no product key is required for re-installation, assuming the same version (home versus pro).
When you get to that portion of the installation, just choose the "I don't have one" or "skip this" or "do this later" or whatever the option is.

You should be good to go

And by the way.... that clicking sound is never, ever a good thing when coming from a spinning drive component.
I think you've discovered the root of the problem.

Reaction score
I seen to be having the same problem 2 days after an update I have a HDD I am going to replace my power supply unit before I replace my HDD my original DVD won't boot nor will my repair disc possibly because its pre april update. I did have a hiccup when I first put current power supply in so I will change it first.

Reaction score
Ok guys got my PC working again some how the ram timing in the bios changed to Auto so I had to set it to 800 x whatever the hightest setting is 933 x whatever I have 32gb ram 4 sticks and my MB is over spec on the retail box eg 4x8g ram won't run at max spec but 2x16g will run at spec I think Microsoft are resetting the bios to run at auto somehow to assist their upgraded software as we are all dummies. Leave my Bios alone Microsoft. It's the only explination I have for this to have been changed. I also did put in a new power supply and I am also going to change my power supply chord as well as its a loose fitting. But I have my baby back. If you read any of my other post about this ram timing it will help you the funny thing is first time it played up the ram timing was correct so possibly the power supply then the auto fix may have made changes but just now the bios ram timing was set at auto and that wasn't me. cheers.

Ask a Question