Desktop black screen along with constant refreshing

Reaction score
After upgrading to windows 10, my desktop will flash to a black screen for a few seconds and the desktop seems to refresh itself. Every time this happens it will close out of any files I have open and will even change focus to the desktop for several programs. This happens every 1 to 3 minutes. Have had this problem from day 1 of upgrading to windows 10.

I have looked for solutions to the problem, however, none of the solutions have worked for me. Other users had problems that occurred with the iCloud (which i don't have installed) and reporting services (tried turning these services off and nothing changed).

About ready to downgrade back to windows 7 if I can't find a solution soon. It is extremely annoying and is preventing me from doing much work on my laptop. Any help would be appreciated.

-John

Reaction score
After upgrading to windows 10, my desktop will flash to a black screen for a few seconds and the desktop seems to refresh itself. Every time this happens it will close out of any files I have open and will even change focus to the desktop for several programs. This happens every 1 to 3 minutes. Have had this problem from day 1 of upgrading to windows 10.

I have looked for solutions to the problem, however, none of the solutions have worked for me. Other users had problems that occurred with the iCloud (which i don't have installed) and reporting services (tried turning these services off and nothing changed).

About ready to downgrade back to windows 7 if I can't find a solution soon. It is extremely annoying and is preventing me from doing much work on my laptop. Any help would be appreciated.

-John

Also, spent a few minutes watching process monitor and task manager. Every time this black screen happens the Windows Shell Experience Host and Windows Explorer tasks spike to about 15%-20% CPU.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like explorer.exe is crashing and restarting.
Could be a third party software or service issue or might be a driver problem.
To test for third party software or service issue, put your computer in a clean boot state and see if the problem persists.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for 8 / 8.1 (same for 10).
To test for a driver issue boot your machine in Safe Mode first and then try Safe Mode with Networking.
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/safe-mode.3/
Choice #4 and then #5 when you reach the appropriate page of selection options.

Reaction score

-John

Official part of the Windows operating system is Windows Shell Experience Host. Displaying all the universal applications and several graphical elements of the interface such as the taskbar transparency, the Start-Menu, the clock etc. in a windows interface due to it. But sometime this application crashes and an error message comes out. You can use below methods to remove this error message.1- Update all System Software. OR2- Running System File Checker OR3- Re-registering the Start-Menu.

Ask a Question