SOLVED Right clicking desktop No Good

Reaction score
This problem occurred just a few days ago.

I right click the desktop, preparing to add a new folder.
The window opens. All of the items open up immediately when I click on them except NEW.
NEW does not open immediately and at first I thought the system had frozen up. By accident, I discovered that if I wait 20 to 30 seconds, the VIEW opens nicely.
This is not a huge problem, but being naturally curious I would like to know what brought this on. And has anyone else experienced this?

Reaction score
I see (possibly?) you have posted on the Ms site,(with a poor response!)

Looks like you may have a corrupted, or wrong path, to the drop down menu which should appear.
Try this to clean up the corruption (No guarantee)
Right click the start orb and select the 2command prompt (Run as administrator).
Type each of these commands, in turn: (you can copy and paste them) They each take a while.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Type Exit, and then press Enter.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
No joy, though.
It is really weird. When I right click and the windows opens, if I just run the mouse over the "NEW" selection, I don't click it, the other selections freeze up too. Waiting the 20 to 30 seconds and they start working again.
Well, I am working around it now, so it isn't anything critical.

Reaction score
I think(?) I may have an answer,
Open the File Explorer, and in the top bar selct "View" and then, on the far right "options", and then "Change Folder and search options"
Select the "General " tab and UNtick the bottom two (security) items.
Restart the computer, or log in and out.

Reaction score
Sorry to say, that didn't do it.
BUT, during my search I discovered to make a new folder anywhere in Windows 10, just press Ctrl, Shift, and the letter N, all simultaneously and by golly a new folder pops up.
How's that?
Thanks for the replies and I will mark this little sucker, SOLVED!

Reaction score
I'm sorry you marked it as solved. I would have liked to see a solution to your original query.

Reaction score
Can I take back my " solved"?
If I do discover the cause of the original problem I will post it here, okay?

Reaction score
Not to worry. Good idea. though.
I am still trying to emulate the problem, but so far only my suggestion works for me.

Ask a Question