How to place Control Panel when rightclicking Start

Reaction score
I had it all set up just right, then this last update happened and removed the programs I had set up when rightlicking the Start Panel.
I cannot remember how I did it, and I'm not finding any help online.

Thanks

Reaction score
That link shows what I'm talking about, however when I did it a while ago, when I got Windows 10, it wasn't anywhere near that complicated as to have to download a tool to help you do it.
However, I appreciate your help very much.
Thank you
:)

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
You dont have to download a tool, you can add entries manually in
%LocalAppdata%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX
group1
group2
group3

You have to also edit the desktop.ini files as well and for that you need to enable showing protected system files.

There has never been any other way but manually or using that tool that Im aware of.

I think using the tool is simpler for less experienced users, if you find out how you did it that was simpler and still works (other than manual method), please let me know.

Reaction score
I've no idea how add the entried manually.
But anyway, in some of the searches I've done, some of them do show the Control Panel in the menu you get when you right click on Start. Along with Task Manager, File Explorer, Run etc.
Is it that with this latest 'creative' update, Microsoft decided to remove Control Panel from that menu and added, instead, Setting?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you find it more convenient or any less complicated
You can just click start and type control panel
It should appear at the top of the list, where you can right click it and choose pin to start and or pin to taskbar.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Not too sure about the Power Menu aka Win+X menu, but you can add the Control Panel to the right-click Context menu by modifying the Registry like so:
  • In your Search/Cortana field type comm
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • When the User Account Control prompts click Yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Control Panel" /f

Press Enter key

Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Control Panel\Command" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL" /f

Press Enter key

Type exit and press Enter key

Now when you right-click for example the Desktop the context menu will include Control Panel like so:

Control Panel.png

So far as the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\WinX directory Data referred to in his thread, the Registry Key associated with this and containing all the links (.lnk) profiles is located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— SOFTWARE
— Microsoft
— Windows
— CurrentVersion
— ShellCompatibility
InboxApp
Now I know you like to use the Address Bar in the Registry Editor Data, so here is the full path in a more user friendly manner just for you :)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellCompatibility\InboxApp

I have not had time to muck around here, but have no reason to doubt Data's initial claim that the third party tool, or the manual method manipulating the Group 1, 2 and 3 folders is currently all there is for Windows 10 Creator users to get their Power Menu (Win+X menu) Control Panel option back.

Still it might be fun to play around in the Registry a little - I'll report back here should I find a way.

Reaction score
Hi Llanita,

I 'm not sure if this will help you (or indeed what you want?) but here goes, open the start menu and scroll down to Windows System > Control Panel, left click and drag it to the desktop, at least you will know where it is!. :D

control panel.JPG

Reaction score
i used to do this with Win7, placing a lot of shortcuts a right-click away but ever since i use Win10 and Cortana, i just use Win+S key combination, type what i need, and viola! it searches, fetches, and runs any application i need.

edit: my desktop and other menus are maintained clean now because i don't need to have all those shortcuts ;-)

Ask a Question