Replaced motherboard

DvK

Reaction score
But it says i have to activate windows but i checked and i cant because it says its unlicensed and i really dont want to buy windows again because this annoying watermark while working

Reaction score
Replacing the motherboard could be showing Microsoft it is a different computer, probably the biggest change one can make that will not activate without a phone call to Microsoft.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Replacing the motherboard could be showing Microsoft it is a different computer, probably the biggest change one can make that will not activate without a phone call to Microsoft.
The key word for me that sets of a big red flag is the OP mention of the "watermark". No legit copy has that.

Reaction score
I have recently, change a couple of motherboards. As it happens, they were Dells. These were pre licenced with Microsoft, by Dell. There was documentation with them, should the activation go wrong, including a new, licenced, key. After installation they were already activated.

I agree with Bass. There should not be a watermark. The OP can sort out the problem with a quick call to the MS facility.

DvK

Reaction score
I have recently, change a couple of motherboards. As it happens, they were Dells. These were pre licenced with Microsoft, by Dell. There was documentation with them, should the activation go wrong, including a new, licenced, key. After installation they were already activated.

I agree with Bass. There should not be a watermark. The OP can sort out the problem with a quick call to the MS facility.
The key word for me that sets of a big red flag is the OP mention of the "watermark". No legit copy has that.

Hey guys thanks that (some of) you were trying to help me but for some reason its just gone so i guess thats going for me

Reaction score
But it says i have to activate windows but i checked and i cant because it says its unlicensed and i really dont want to buy windows again because this annoying watermark while working

Well if you used a Microsoft account to login it would link the hardware change to your Digital Entitlement. This link was a new feature on one of the Windows 10 updates. It was added to limit the need to call MS after doing a hardware change and then a Windows install. No it used to be that MS considered a motherboard upgrade a new computer but they haven't been clear on that now. It used to be a motherboard replacement for damaged board with the same motherboard was ok but a change or upgrade was a new PC and required a new license.

Last edited:

Ask a Question