User account profiles replaced with MS account - now can get into accounts

JLG

Reaction score
Hello. I am not tecky at all an upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 my dell insperion computer. the original conversion to windows 10 seemed to go OK for a few days. The about 2 days ago, I created a MS user account to access some of the MS store apps. Now the original Windows 7/10 user accounts - local accounts i guess - 3 of them - that we signed in with have been replaced with 1 account - I believe to be the Microsoft account (different name and password).

When we sign in with that MS account and get in to the computer, we have a pop up box that says "Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try ti fix it the next time you sign in." We can't do anything but select the pop-up box option of "sign out now". When we sign in again, it is the same thing.

I'm very weak with all this tecky stuff and I'm not sure if this is 1 problem or 2 different ones.

1. How do I get back my initial local user accounts, so I can access all of my programs and files?
2. How do I fix the Critical error?

And again, I'm not tecky at all, so please provide explicit instructions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
At the sign in / log in screen, isn't there any other users listed just to the bottom left of where your password box is located?

MultiUsers.JPG

JLG

Reaction score
Hello. I am not tecky at all an upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 my dell insperion computer. the original conversion to windows 10 seemed to go OK for a few days. The about 2 days ago, I created a MS user account to access some of the MS store apps. Now the original Windows 7/10 user accounts - local accounts i guess - 3 of them - that we signed in with have been replaced with 1 account - I believe to be the Microsoft account (different name and password).

When we sign in with that MS account and get in to the computer, we have a pop up box that says "Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try ti fix it the next time you sign in." We can't do anything but select the pop-up box option of "sign out now". When we sign in again, it is the same thing.

I'm very weak with all this tecky stuff and I'm not sure if this is 1 problem or 2 different ones.

1. How do I get back my initial local user accounts, so I can access all of my programs and files?
2. How do I fix the Critical error?

And again, I'm not tecky at all, so please provide explicit instructions.

Ask a Question