Win10 Start Menu; Most Used list replaced with list of least used programs

Reaction score
I'm using Win10. No idea if the creator's update has been applied or not. Two to four weeks ago the Most Used list on my Start Menu contained 4-5 programs that were truly my most used. Now all of those are gone and have been replaced by Firefox, Mail, MS Edge, Settings, Store, and Photos. With the exception of Firefox, the new list of programs I may have used once or twice in the past 2 weeks but what happened to the ones I used ten times as often? I had a screenshot program I was using all the time whose name I can't remember and now it's gone!

Two questions:

1) What are the likely causes of my Most Used list being totally replaced?
2) Is there a back door way of recovering the names of the programs I had in that list so I can access them again?

Reaction score
Hi Bruce,

check in Settings > Personalisation > Start and check your settings there: :)

start menu apps.JPG

Reaction score
As Wolfie says. I have slightly different On/Offs, but have no problems.

Wolfie. Curiosity: Why is the fourth option in your picture greyed out???? Any ides? Might be a combination of what Ons and Offs you have, I'm thinking.

Reaction score
Wolfie. Curiosity: Why is the fourth option in your picture greyed out???? Any ides? Might be a combination of what Ons and Offs you have, I'm thinking.
HI Dave,

I have no idea, when I set it all up, I may well have caused it but don't remember how, I cannot activate it now either!. ;)

Reaction score
Thank you Jay. I am aware of that, but do not, in any event, use the feature. I try to avoid any kind of caching, when I can.
My only interest , which digressed from the OP's query, (Sorry about that!), was the greyed area, which has been solved

Ask a Question