Is it possible to start win10 from usb (without installing o.s.)?

Reaction score
Nope. I suppose W10 could be made to work like that but I don't remember any Windows version having that capability.

Reaction score
great suggestion regedit32, thank you!

using that tool, i will be able to launch from usb the operating system? i will have also access to the hard disk to take and save my old fles?

the pc i need to access does not start anymore for some reason...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes from recollection You will have access to the PC's hard drive too.

There may be permission issues you will have to work through, like taking ownership - I'm not entirely sure as I don't have a sufficient sized USB drive to try it myself.

Reaction score
Rufus does it all.
http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Won't work if:
  1. You didn't actually try to create a WTG drive using that ISO in Rufus 2.2. Because if you did that, you would have found out that it simply does not work, and that is the reason it was removed.

2. "using a Windows 10 ISO obtained from the Media Creation Tool"
    This is the problem. As you may not be aware, Microsoft managed to screw up the Windows 10 ISOs they produce using the Media Creation Tool, so that they are incompatible with their own Windows APIs for image extraction (and yes, they are even incompatible with those APIs on Windows 10). So I had to disable WTG for those images, since it wasn't working anyway!

3. If you want to create a WTG version of Windows 10, you should ditch the Media Creation Tool and instead download one of the retail ISOs, which you can freely and legally obtain from Microsoft's Tech Bench. You should find that these work much better.
Depending on your browser/Windows version, you may have to trick the website into believing that you can't run the media creation tool on your system, to get the "You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using won’t support the Windows 10 media creation tool (...)" text (instead of a redirect to the media creation tool download) and therefore be able to select an ISO download.

You can do this with the User Agent Switching add-on for Firefox.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No need to do that with Windows 10 Enterprise edition if you turn to third party tool.
I read an article about running Windows 10 Home from USB flash drive. Surely, the things you need to prepare is the same as Regedit32 said.
Just in case you need the steps and screenshots: install Win 10 on external USB drive.
Regards.

Reaction score
If you want to create a WTG version of Windows 10, you should ditch the Media Creation Tool and instead download one of the retail ISOs, which you can freely and legally obtain from Microsoft's Tech Bench. You should find that these work much better.

We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.
The URL may be misspelled or the page you're looking for is no longer available.

Reaction score
Gotcha. tried it and can download the regular Home/Pro version in 32bit and 64bit but not the enterprise edition which requires a sign in to the VLSC...
unless I have overlooked something??
Probably haven't missed anything, Enterprise and Volume Licensing are pretty much the same edition and intended for companies that buy lots of software and/or computers with it. Least ways that was what Volume Licensing was back when I got into the Partners thing at one of the Microsoft Seminars late '90s.

Ask a Question