Desktop Ini. Appearance and Possible Malware Downloaded With Windows 10 Update

Reaction score
1. This only happened after the Windows 10 update the first time I opened IE. A Flash Update Pro keeps taking over my internet screen as soon as the Windows 10 Update November 2017 installed. Also sometimes a total screen blockage saying don't go to this website regardless of what it is. No prior website had been accessed with this occuring, I never download videos, programs, etc.,...only thing downloaded was the Windows 10 update. Defender is up to date, total system scan, nothing is wrong. Have checked manage add-ons, program files, etc.

2. - Desktop Ini. appeared after Windows 10 update - VERY IRRIATATING!
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21799

After the Windows update, this ini. is now on my desktop. After reading suggestions here, I tried the going to Explorer files and clicking "hide files" technique and nothing happened; did it again, being sure to click apply and nothing happened; did it again and clicked ok and nothing happened...nothing else to click! Restarted my computer and it's still there. How do I get rid of it?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Not Computer Whiz,

Re the Desktop.ini file. That is a System protected file and belongs to the Windows OS.

To hide it open File Explorer then in the top ribbon select the View tab
  • Now on the right side click Options then Change Folder & Search Options
  • In the Folder Options dialog that opens select the View tab
  • Now scroll the Advanced settings and locate the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Check this option and click Apply then click OK
Untitled.png

Re the Flash Pro issue. I'm not certain what is going on there, except to say Microsoft will be actively blocking Flashplayer and you will be prompted from time to time in both Edge and Internet Explorer browsers to choose to allow flash content to load/play.

To my knowledge this security feature does not include a promotion for a Professional version of Flash, so you may have picked up some form of Browser Help Object from a rogue site or a third party installation of software.

Your best bet would be to try the following:
  • Press Windows key and R key together to open the Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type INETCPL.CPL then click OK
  • In the Internet Properties dialog that opens select the Advanced tab
  • Now click the Reset button to reset your Internet Explorer browser to its default status which ought to clear any browser helper objects if they exist.

Report back on how you go with both issues as there may be some more work required to get these two issues completely resolved for you.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question