Is it possible to hide desktop.ini icons when show hidden files is enabled?

Reaction score
I like to have show hidden files enabled but I don't like to see the two desktop.ini files among my desktop icons. I would like to be able to hide these two items but have all other hidden files displayed. Is it possible to do this?

(I was able to upgrade my Windows 10 to Version 10.0.10586 (the Fall Update/Upgrade) by removing the Windows.Old folder, using the native Disk Cleanup tool. And my Windows 10 is fully updated.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Desktop.ini is a system file which is treated independently from hidden files. You can view hidden files without showing system files. If the question is about showing system files and not wanting to see the desktop.ini file, that is not possible.

There is the option of leaving MS settings where they are by default and using a third party file manager to view system file if needed. In fact I've been doing this for 15 years.

Ask a Question