SOLVED Possible Security issue with IP Build 17083.rs_prerelease

Regedit32

Reaction score
For those of you currently previewing Build 17083.rs_prerelease I've discovered that the Windows Defender Security Center has become somewhat sluggish in response, and that if you choose to do a Full Scan of your system that the Windows Defender application appears to stall between 164,000 and 174,000 files. The actual stall position varies in other words.

Thus if you are using the prerelease while online, and typically rely on Windows Defender, it might pay to grab another third party security suite until this issue is resolved.

Note: The security update for Windows Defender released in the last hour has made no difference to this issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I ran 2 scans today when we were having Malwarebyte issues. The first scan was slow and stalled at around 40% (which took 9 minutes?) I cancelled the scan. The second scan was a tad faster, but stalled at 80% for about 1 min. then completed its scan. It appears to be working as designed right now. Thanks for the heads up.

(I'm not previewing Build 17083.rs_prerelease)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Update on Security Issue with Windows Defender Security Center:

Microsoft appear to have resolved the issue with Windows Defender Security Center stalling during operation.

Unfortunately I cannot locate any information on what precisely they have done to resolve the issue.

Nevertheless, if you roll back to the 17063.rs prerelease, then download and install 17083.rs prerelease again, you'll find not only is Windows Defender Security Center working now, but that the Defender scan now takes about half the time to do a full scan of multiple hard drives / partitions.

Ask a Question