SOLVED Why does an icon named desktop.ini appear on desktop?

Reaction score
Right click (or touch and hold) the icon, then select Delete. I saw the same icon, deleted it several times and now it is gone.

Ignore this advice!

See next post by IonaPC for correct answer!

Regedit32

Reaction score
You should not delete those .ini files. What you need to do is go to File Manager / Organize/ Folder & Search Options and click the box to hide system files.

Reaction score
Yeah I never understood why changing Explorer settings effected Desktop. Their is no getting through to MS. This phenomenon has been evident through more than 6 versions of Windows.

Since I use a third party file manager, I don't have a need in showing hidden/system files in Explorer. I never use Explorer. Using a third party file manager also helps in preventing the creation of those stupid *.ini files. Their purpose for existence is quite pathetic.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Right click (or touch and hold) the icon, then select Delete. I saw the same icon, deleted it several times and now it is gone.

Click on C drive then programs you will find it in there and you can not delete it
Got rid of it everywhere else but it wont let you delete it completely
I have just left it there and found not doing any harm
The reason it is there it is a configuration Setting and only takes up 1KB

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
If you are talking about the ini file, you most certainly can delete it. I've done drive searches and deleted desktop.ini files through out all folders.

I was told by a guy I trust who is high up in Microsoft to leave it alone as it can mess your updates up and make your system not respond properly.
That is the only place it stays now.
Do you run any of windows 10 apps or Mail, or The latest Office both 365 or 2016 or when the next big update comes in Nov/Dec as it helps configure your computer/laptop setting with windows 10.

Read this link also posted by a member on this forum

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/desktop-ini-on-desktop.925/

Reaction score
IonaPC has the correct answer.
Follow the answer and the desktop.ini will go away.

Reaction score
I was told by a guy I trust who is high up in Microsoft to leave it alone as it can mess your updates up and make your system not respond properly.
That is the only place it stays now.
Do you run any of windows 10 apps or Mail, or The latest Office both 365 or 2016 or when the next big update comes in Nov/Dec as it helps configure your computer/laptop setting with windows 10.

Read this link also posted by a member on this forum

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/desktop-ini-on-desktop.925/

Nobody who is high up in Microsoft will be so insane and stupid to say that.
Deleting desktop.ini from the desktop is absolutely safe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe this thread can be marked solved?

The answer was supplied in post #3.

The files do, or did, have a purpose, They held the ver basic configuration info on the size and structure of the window, in which they sit, including the colour.
I have a feeling, though, that this info is no longer required since Windows 8.1, which had a more sophisticated method of storing this information.
Regarding Cliff's post. The Desktop is, of course, a folder. I speak without knowledge, but I do believe these are also in Linux??

Ask a Question