SOLVED Google's icon doesn't remain in the Task Bar ???

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not the one having an issue with the Task Bar ! :)..... It's my daughter ! :p

Each time she starts her laptop the Google's icon has disappeared of her Task Bar. She right-clicks on the icon on the desk and pins it back to the Task Bar, and it will remain there for as long as she's using her computer.
The icon in the start menu works, and so does the one on the desk if you want to launch Google, and the one she pinned back to the Task Bar does work also.
But as soon as she shuts off her computer and/or restarts it.... The icon is gone ! o_O
The one in the start menu and on the desk are still there and working fine ! o_O

We tried a copy/paste of the desk's icon (Google) to this folder : C:\Users\User's Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Lauch\User Pinned\TaskBar

After doing this, the Chrome.exe shortcut is present in the file, but the problem remains the same ! :(

She's with Creator's Update, with the latest updates, her default browser is Google (in the settings), her laptop (ASUS) is about a year old. Her task Bar is locked at the bottom of the screen.

We ran a « sfc /scannow », « Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth », and « Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth », and everything was fine ! :)

Any ideas what we could try next ???

Thank You

Regards JAY B.;)

Reaction score
Jay did you try the Windows 10 method Settings > show what icons appear on task bar and select Google. I don't have it on my desktop, but the Grandkids do, Win 10 Home Edition and it does work..

Reaction score
Hi Norton,

Where would I go to find these settings ?
In system > notifications and actions ??? :confused:

Thank You ;)

Reaction score
Jay I'm sorry I'm on my wireless Win 7 machine right now or I would have posted the path for you. You may want to try typing your query in the search box ie: icons...? OK I did a search for task bar icons. "You can also work with these icons through the settings interface. Right-click any open area of the taskbar and choose the “Settings” option. Scroll down and click the “Select which icons appear on the taskbar” link. I hope this works for you.

https://www.howtogeek.com/225568/how-to-configure-and-customize-the-taskbar-in-windows-10/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Norton ! :)

We've tried everything in the tutorial of “ howtogeek ”, and it didn't work ! :(

We uninstalled Google using “ RevoUninstaller ” with the advance scan for any leftover, and deleted all the Google's folders (including the Hidden ones), and using CCleaner to search for any entries left in the Registry, and a manual search in the Registry by following this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Then she reinstalled Google and made it as the default browser, and.... The same issue is back ! o_O

Windows 10 doesn't like Google Chrome ! :p

If someone has any idea.... We're listening ! :D

Thank You :)

Regards ;) JAY B.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If someone has any idea.... We're listening !
I cannot duplicate your issue on any of my machines running Chrome, as I can pin and unpin the icon to my taskbar and it remains through multiple reboots without fail, but.....
I remember a while back that some third party programs can cause this.
You don't happen to be running Bitdefender on that machine? I remember they added, as part of their Ransomware protection.... Desktop Protection (desktop folder) which produced the problem you are experiencing.

Typically I would recommend clean booting the system
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Reaction score
OL. Al seem to be understanding the problem, except me (happens often).

What is a "Google" browser"?
If you are referring to Edge:IE, or Chrome, have you tried right clicking them in the start menu, selecting "More" and pinning to the taskbar

Reaction score
Hi,

After doing all the clean boot, there was no incompatibility ?!??o_O

She scanned her laptop with ZHPCleaner.... And the scan found a fu****g Trojan (Elpman) ! o_O

And some other infections !

We should've checked for this possibility first ! :p

Thanks ! :)

Regards JAY B. ;)

Reaction score
OK Jay Lesson learned, Time to replace the Kapper with Malwarebytes Premium.
Up to three PC insatall licenses for $29/year. It's the best investment any PC user can make. Malwarebytes claim you don't need an antivirus program with Mambam Premium, but I still run an AV program just to be sure. ;)

Reaction score
Hi,

OK Jay Lesson learned, Time to replace the Kapper with Malwarebytes Premium.

The thing she didn't tell me, it's that she turned off Kaspersky so that she would be able to download somehing by P2P !
Now, she won't be able to do it again, I put a password protection on Kaspersky's settings ! :D
I hope she learned her lesson !

Regards ;) JAY B.

Ask a Question