Needed Taskbar Icons greyed out.

Reaction score
I have a Sony VAIO, I7 processor, running Windows 10 Pro, 1803-17134.407. During the last few updates, I've lost the taskbar icons for both battery power and volume control. I'n not at all certain what to do to recover them, since the normal methods don't appear to apply. The icons are both greyed-out in the settings screen. (See attached)

Any one have any clues as to where I might turn?

Thanks.

JLOB
missing icons.jpg

Reaction score
My desktop Local User and Local Admin accounts the icons are also greyed out. I think that those icons are a Laptop feature? I'm not near my Laptop to verify the settings. On desktops you can adjust the volume with the taskbar speaker icon.

Reaction score
The toggle (sound) turns the taskbar speaker icon ON/OFF. The OP doesn't mention if the taskbar icon is present. After poking around in settings the toggle is no longer greyed out, the problem is I don't know what changes enabled the volume toggle. It would be worth going into Settings > System > Sound it has a reset sound feature and sound troubleshooter.

Reaction score
I didn't see it down on his taskbar, so I'm assuming that's what he's trying to get back. It really shouldn't be grayed out. I understand the power icon being grayed out if it's not a laptop.

Ask a Question