SOLVED Help needed with: You need to format the disk before you can use it.

Reaction score
D:\ is not accessible.

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

My Windows 10 PC has three drives. The C drive is used for the OS and the few applications I installed to the PC and Drive D(the problem drive) has my virtual machines, in which I do all my work as well as some games. Last night, I noticed that some of the applications were slow to respond(felt like freezing) while other applications residing on that drive continued to work. At the end of the night, I rebooted and went to bed. This morning, I was greeted with the following error when I noticed all the .icos on the desktop that belonged to apps on that drive were blank.

I've not done much for fear of messing something up further. I went to properties and tried "Error checking" but received:

The disk check could not be performed because the disk is not formatted. Would you like to format the disk?

If I could restore the drive to working condition, that would be ultra nifty but if I can't I would also greatly appreciate being able to get at least some of the files on that drive, like the vbox drives so I could recover my working OSes.

I've done a lot of searching and unfortunately, most of the results point toward software gateways(you know the ones, fake news sites talking about the pandemic of corrupted d drives where the tireless journalist has fallen upon a fix for all that ails you). I've not installed any of them since I can't find anythingt that can be vouched for.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for your time!

Reaction score
It sounds to me like your d:\ drive has failed. Whom every the manufacture is they should have a diagnostic tool download it and run it on that disk.
Hope you have good back ups

Reaction score
Time for a 'stupid' question: What is the third drive? Are they physical drives or partitions on the only drive? It is possible for a partition [all drives need at least one] to get corrupted and not interfere with others. Right-click the Start button, click Disk Management and post a screen shot of both the upper and lower information.

Reaction score
Thanks very much for taking the time to help, Bighorn, I managed to solve my issue by mounting the drive from my linux install and retrieving the files I needed.

Thanks again!

Ask a Question