Help needed please! Having to reset Windows 10 every other day.

LJE

Reaction score
Not sure if there is anyone here who can really help as a lot of people read posts but not many who seem to be able to help. I take it that my problem is tough as no one has replied to my prior post.
After installing Windows 10 pro the next day or two at most...all my apps and task bar become non responsive. When I first upgraded to Windows 10 pro it worked fine for about a month. Then one morning nothing. Got to get it to reset and two days later I was back to having to reset. After about two weeks of on going and resetting, it decided I wasn't going to be able to do anything. I had posted for suggestions and no reply so I went out and purchased Windows q0 pro full version and did a clean install. Two days later, you know the story.
I decided to purchase the Assure support plan through Microsoft. After going through 4 Techs in the last few days, they say they fixed it by getting me to reset. LOL, today (two days later) I called them back. Asked for someone in the US for support, they said there is none in the US. So Irish and Chris in Phillipines couldn't solve my issue and neither could Sheryl and Thomas in India or Indonesia.
I seriously believe it could very well be the update that is causing my problems but I don't know how I can find out for sure. Each time after an update installs and computer restarts then problem happens.
Any type of suggestion would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Reaction score
Have you considered performing a full hardware test of your computer? This test should cover every piece of hardware, especially your HDD and RAM.

Speaking of RAM how much does your comptuer have installed? 4Gb, 8GB or above?

What version of W10 do you have have installed? 32bit or 64bit? I assume by your " Reset " you are meaning
" Reset this computer ", perhaps you can try resetting computer again, this time removing everything including installed apps and personnal files, leave nothing but W10 OS itself.

If the reset pc fails, try a clean install of W10 but, first " format " your hard drive, you can use the Quick option but to check your hdd you might be best to do a full format ( is much slower but shoud uncover any hdd faults ).

After you have the computer booted do the below tweak immediately:

Head to:
Control Panel \ System and Security \ System ( 1 )
Advanced system settings ( 2 )
System Properties \ Advanced \ Settings ( 3 )
Performance Options \ Advanced \ Change ( 4 )
Virtual Memory \ Custom size \ set Initial Size 5500 and Maximum size 5500 ( 5 )
Click Set ( 6 )
ok your way back out, you will need to reboot your computer.

upload_2016-7-1_22-48-14.png

This uses 5.5GB of your hard drive space as virtual memory so if you have 8GB RAM this will give you 13.5GB RAM. This setting should improve performance of computer, doing this will ensure that your computer has enough RAM to operate.

As the image above you will see that I have 12.0 GB RAM and then I have set 5.5GB virtual RAM giving me a total of 17.5GB RAM in my computer.

Before you start installing your software again, use the computer, access the internet and do as you would. Install one software package, use computer as you normally would. Repeat and test and check for each individual software package.

Perhaps give thought to " not " installing a third party anti-virus or firewall, for now, use the ones provided by Windows itself ( my 3rd party anti-virus package was and still does cause issues, since I uninstalled that, Windows works fine ), so leave your 3rd party anti-virus and firewall out of the installed software.

Lets see how things go with the virtual memory tweak above and one software package at a time with testing before the next package installed, heck if you can use the basic clean install of W10 for some time clean ( no software packages installed at all ) and see if Windows crashes / becomes unresponsive.

Johnno

Reaction score
Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if any error or warnings might be happening? Look for ones which seem to repeat or might indicate a problem with a device or some process.

You may be correct in that an update is changing something and causing problems. Descriptions of what changes are addressed in a particular update are not usually specific. Knowing the exact update may help track down a problem which you and others are having but how much it helps will depend on why it is happening.

Personally, I always do manual checks for updates so I can delay certain ones if necessary. But follow on updates may not work if they depend on a prior update which has been hidden or not yet installed.

Reaction score
For those that do not know where or how to get into Event Viewer:

Press Win-X ( Windows key+X together )
clicking Control Panel,
clicking System and Security,
clicking Administrative Tools, and then,
double-clicking Event Viewer.

If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Click an event log in the left pane.

Ask a Question