SOLVED Manufacturers Reset - Advice needed to uninstall added unwanted Programs

Reaction score
My son needs his laptop to make his lists, artwork, searching You tube and playing The Simpsons and music playing repetitiously.
It is difficult to understand his needs, He has an Laptop, that has had to be checked over twice so far and reset.
Firstly I wish to reinstall his MS Word 2007 for home and student this I have the Disk for, having purchased The Program new. It is perfect for his needs.
However His Laptop has come back from the manufacturer's agent with just The Latest MS 365 suite of programs as a trial and thereafter proposed rental, He does not need this "Business Version". and I seem to remember previously It got PopUps that freak him out,
My aim is to completely uninstall MS 365 TRIAL INTRODUCTION VERSION and when this is done Reinstall MS Word Home and Student 2007, I appreciate it is no longer supported.. This will probably need opening up folders that will contain active bits that may be missed simply uninstalling using the control panel. I also need to do the same with very good McAfee trial programs that may well interfere with when I have to reinstall another's protection program. but this is secondary.

Reaction score
I Suggest you dump ms word 2007, unless the laptop is ages old maybe....

But OpenOffice.org ( free ) provides a complete suite, inc equivalents of word excel access etc....all 100% compatable with any docs created with MS apps....

Best uninstaller ( free ) is reevo uninstaller, even virgin media and other companies recommend to use this, it not only uninstalls but then scans for leftover files which should be deleted also......

Good luck.....

Suggest you get an external hard drive able to accept 4 FULL image backups of the laptop.....so if the laptop is 250GB an external HDD of say 1 TB

Use Macrium image back up ( free ) are an image say once a month with a unique name or the date......if the laptop fails again a recovery of everything is easily possible.....keep at least 3 backups grandfather father and son, as it is called....if the newest fails then you have two more..keep a backup of personal files to USB pen also....

Reaction score
Note that removing McAfee required downloading MCPR from their site to do a complete removal. After that may as well run Defender for AV.

IIRC LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice and is a bit better maintained than OpenOffice.

As this is a laptop then does it have USB3. If so it should be able to self power an external SSD if not the external drive, SSD or HDD will need a power supply.

Reaction score
No idea of the precaution needed to uninstall a trial of Mcafee. Outrageous, for a trial, if you need to download Mcafee's own uninstaller!

I give full support to Wolfie's suggestion on LibreOffice. Anything Office does, then so can Libre. For what it is worth, Libre Office also opens PDFs, a useful addition. You son will not need any learning experience, as it follows very closely to Office.
I empathise with Bill's first two paras on his son. Been there, done that. Bad news is, it never stops. I am now grappling with grand children with the same instinks (the spelling is deliberate!) Now there is one great grandchild on the way. Hopefully I will be gone before that one decides to overnight at my house.

Reaction score
Thank you all who have responded to help me. being as I can see here reddwarf4ever, Wolfie, Tim Locke, and davehc.
Your comments are most instructive and I will explore the Programs You mention that I have not used.
As earlier, My Main Problem was to completely remove all traces of the 365 MS Word Suite, simply because as My son is only used to Word 2007 and any changes would freak him out as he is severely Autistic. MS 2007 Office for Student and home has worked well for 10 years and any changes would have to be avoided..
I eventually decided after reading your comments to try "RevoUninstall"- I made a big mistake because when I had eventually inched my way to using it by trial and error, It seemed a clearer copy that Just Control Panel .
selecting 365Office it immediately set a restore point. and then it indicated that it was Analyzing as setting it up for auto Uninstallation. after 1/4 hour I was having a chat session with the Revo Support Team, because instinct was telling me something was not right, I could hear the HDD quietly going round. but the message from REVO had not changed. so Left it for another 1/4 hr as contacted Support again, - I have had MS doing my Computers for up to 2hrs at one time before so I had to leave it as I did not want to mess it up
After two hrs I sent a couple of emails to Revo Offline. and decided to start again. Shortly after starting again, I noticed a tiny red barely visible icon had appeared on my task bar, and clicking on this was a note saying MS had received my instruction to Uninstall, and click to proceed. There was also a note that MS would tidy up any bits left over on restarting, I made a mistake here because I had anticipated using Revo to search out all the bits before I restarted, but instructing MS to do it I lost the opportunity as once the program had gone there was nothing to search on.
Checking on the Programs left there was still an App titled "My Office" this was for starting office 365 again.
I eventually found that I had to ckick on the App and follow the arrow to an uninstall option. That removed So i.
I then used Revo to remove some programs not wanted and MS one Drive, if needed they can be found .
So I had a clean computer to Install Office Home and Student 2007 using the disk and entering the codes on the box..
Task finished.

Ask a Question