Customized icon does not accompany a folder when I copy it to another location.

Reaction score
It used to be in Windows 7, in Windows 8, and in the early days of Windows 10 that when I copied a folder to another location, the customized icon that was attached to that folder followed the folder to the new location. Now, in Windows 10 when I copy a folder to a new location, the folder no longer has the icon associated with it. That means that I have to go through the process of reinstalling it. When there are many folders involved, that is especially inconvenient and time comsuming. Is there a setting somewhere in the bowels of Windows that controls this function? Or is this yet another example of Microsoft making life just a little more difficult and annoying for its customers. By the way, this function is still working on my Windows 7 computer. When I copy a folder there, the customized icon accompanies it. But on my "improved" Windows 10 computers, it does not.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tadeusz,

Welcome to the Forum.

The issue you are describing has been discussed in depth previously.

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/problem-copying-customized-folders.10378/

This is a known issue that Microsoft are aware of, and presumably one day will fix.

Essentially, when you copy a folder over the attributes are lost.

One user got around this by creating a batch file to make the folder a System owned one. Details about that are in the thread link above.

Reaction score
Thanks but that discussion was 1 year ago. If Microsoft was aware of it, I suppose they would have fixed it a long time ago. There must therefore be a fix that can be downloaded, or alternatively, a way to revert to the early Windows 10 that worked well. Has anyone heard of a solution?

Ask a Question