WIN10 playing WIN7 startup sound

Reaction score
Everyone,

I recently upgraded to WIN10 and noticed that I'm still hearing the same WIN7 startup sound I've heard for years. I've looked online several times and wasn't able to find any similar posts or find the default WIN10 startup sound file to replace the existing WIN7 startup sound file.

Can someone please tell me where I can find the default WIN10 startup sound file and where I would place it in the WIN10 folder structure?

When I installed WIN10 64 bit Pro I used an OEM DVD and applied it on top of my existing WIN7 OS and it seemed to install fine. WIN10 seems to be working fine and hearing the same WIN7 sound file isn't a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have a new startup sound file to listen to.

Thank you all for your help!

Reaction score
This is very odd, but not something I have noticed. Unfortunately, the only answer seems to be to use third-party software, which I would not recommend.

As far as I am aware, if you go to Power Options and enable fast startup (this is the default setting on new installations), you shouldn't even have a start-up sound.

If you hit Windows Key + R, or go to Search -> Run

type
control powercfg.cpl

Click on "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left hand side.

Make sure the "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" is enabled.

This will actually help your operating system start up faster after a full shutdown.

Reaction score
Thanks for the "fast startup" tip and instructions Mike, but ever since I put in a SSD as my boot drive my startups have been much faster and I'll try your "fast startup" recommendation soon.

I still need help getting the correct WIN10 startup sound to play.

Anyone out there with any ideas?

Thank you!

Reaction score
My point is that with the default fast startup setting there is no startup sound :D However, I think you need third party software to change it.

Ask a Question