SOLVED Upgrade OEM Win10 Home Edition to Win10 Pro Full Retail Version

Reaction score
I am currently running an OEM Win10 version on a PC I built 5 years ago. I originally installed an OEM Win7 Home and upgraded it to Win10 Home (for free). Currently has 1803 build on it.

I would like to upgrade to Win10 Pro. If I purchase a full retail version of Win10 pro and do a fresh install, will Windows legally activate the new version over the OEM version now associated with my motherboard/hardware? I would like the full retail version of Win10 Pro because that could be used if I change out my motherboard in another year or so.

Reaction score
Hi DennisHPC

if you buy a new key, Windows will use the new key in any further future installs and ignore the old one you currently have!. ;)

My question is, do you really need the Pro version?, it is really meant as a business model and really only has multiple update options for a network of PC's, it isn't worth it for home use imo!. If you have no need for Bitlocker encryption, domain services and business updates, stick with Home, you will save a ton of money!. :):):):)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...home-and/55338b22-d042-45cb-b9c9-a1be21b534e1

Reaction score
Pro also has access to the group policy editor, which is useful for controlling windows updates. Also, the home edition only supports up to 128 gb ram (which of course is more than enough, "now").

Reaction score
It seems to me that the subject title of this thread was not fully answered as such. It died down by simply explaining the differences.

Anyway, my case is as follows:
1. I am running Windows 10 PRO on 12 year old PC, that version came from paid upgrades from Win-7 to win-8, win8-1 and now win 10.
2. I have a full 25-digit Product Key for the Windows 8 PRO back then.
3. I have a Windows 10 PRO product key that came from running a "Jelly Bean Keyfinder" program that gave different Product Key from step 2. Not sure how reliable it might be.
4. I might receive today a new pc with preinstalled Windows 10 HOME.

I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 PRO. Per the title of this thread, could somebody be kind enough to provide a reliable step by step process to do that?
Thanks in advance, the support I see being provided here is astounding.

Reaction score
It seems to me that the subject title of this thread was not fully answered as such. It died down by simply explaining the differences.

Anyway, my case is as follows:
1. I am running Windows 10 PRO on 12 year old PC, that version came from paid upgrades from Win-7 to win-8, win8-1 and now win 10.
2. I have a full 25-digit Product Key for the Windows 8 PRO back then.
3. I have a Windows 10 PRO product key that came from running a "Jelly Bean Keyfinder" program that gave different Product Key from step 2. Not sure how reliable it might be.
4. I might receive today a new pc with preinstalled Windows 10 HOME.

I want to upgrade it to Windows 10 PRO. Per the title of this thread, could somebody be kind enough to provide a reliable step by step process to do that?
Thanks in advance, the support I see being provided here is astounding.
You may or may not be able to activate that key on the new PC. Technically I would think that's against Microsoft's EULA. I was able to transfer a paid Windows 8 Pro to a PC running Windows 7 Home (so I could upgrade my main PC to Windows 10 Pro). Whether you can do that with 10, I don't know. I guess you could go in to Settings, then Updates & Security, then Activation, and click on Change Product Key, and see if it will accept the Pro key. I also don't know how reliable Jelly Bean is. I've had it give me a different key than the OEM label on a few PC's before.

Reaction score
Maybe I read wrong, but I think his problem is with his new computer which has Windows 10 home installed.
I think the best option is to contact MS and say he is wanting to deactivate the old Windows 10
and see if they will compromise with allowing him to use the key on his new installation. They are usually quite helpful on this, as they are anxious toget everybody onto Windows 10

Reaction score
Maybe I read wrong, but I think his problem is with his new computer which has Windows 10 home installed.
I think the best option is to contact MS and say he is wanting to deactivate the old Windows 10
and see if they will compromise with allowing him to use the key on his new installation. They are usually quite helpful on this, as they are anxious toget everybody onto Windows 10

Hi Davehc,
you read it right. I will be getting the new PC hopefully today with Win-10 HOME. Another caveat is that current Win-10 Pro in old PC with product Key # available is 32-bit. Upcoming PC with Win-Home is 64 bit...... therein lies another wrinkle I forgot to mention.
could you suggest best way to contact MS for this? like phone #?
Thanks for your suggestion, may remove some what-ifs in my case.

Ask a Question