Forum Upgrade... coming soon!

Discussion in 'Announcements, Suggestions and Feedback' started by Ian, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

I've been testing out the latest version of the forum software (XenForo), as version 2.1 is about to be released. It comes with support for mobile push notifications, as well as plenty of smaller under-the-hood features.

I upgraded w7forums.com already, as it's a less active site nowadays so it made for a good test. So far it seems to be running very smoothly, so I'll likely upgrade this forum fairly soon.

I wanted to post this heads up message in case anyone happens to visit the site for the hour or so that the upgrade will take (I'll do it at a quiet time). It's probably still a few days away until the upgrade, but I'll post more at the time.

Ian, Jan 7, 2019
    Tim Locke and Trouble like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

davehc

I hope you haven't asked MS for help - lol

davehc, Jan 7, 2019
    Ian likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

Trouble Noob Whisperer Moderator

Anything in-particular we should be watching out for to mark the occasion??

Trouble, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Ian

Ian Administrator

There are a few features that could be useful - for example "push" notifications for new content, perhaps a better way to get updates than via e-mail for some. It also has lots of little improvements such as tables can be used in posts, "URL unfurling" (i.e. previews of any link posted: title, thumbnail, quote) and lots of other minor things.

The improvements are worthwhile, but not a "must" that made the upgrade happen - it's mainly that they are EOLing the v1 branch of the software at the end of the year, so it's a good time to move to v2 :).

Ian, Jan 8, 2019
    Trouble likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question