Forum Upgrade... coming soon!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Guess what? Now I'm not getting text to go with the icons on my name, mail, bell, lightning bolt and magnifying glass. I'd think it may be the forum changes doing it rather than the hardware on the computers doing it. This is on both Firefox 65 and latest Vivaldi 2.3.1440.41 (Stable channel) (32-bit) this morning:

If the browser width drops below something like 800px, the menu should start to gracefully try and save space, before turning in to a sidemenu (i.e. on mobile). The text names for the user side menu are the first to go. Could that be the issue here, or is it full screen on a desktop?

Reaction score
Maybe a clue??

I noticed, now I have solved the problem, that the site loads uniformly, but thos particular icons are the very last, after, perhaps, a 1/2 second pause.

Reaction score
If the browser width drops below something like 800px, the menu should start to gracefully try and save space, before turning in to a sidemenu (i.e. on mobile). The text names for the user side menu are the first to go. Could that be the issue here, or is it full screen on a desktop?
That could be the issue. I didn't see the text a couple of days ago but testing against this post it does come back with Maximized and Full Screen [Yes, those are different things] and when manually dragging the window's edges close to both sides. The icons also seem to change size depending on the window size, a bit smaller with the no text version than when the text is showing.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe a clue??

I noticed, now I have solved the problem, that the site loads uniformly, but thos particular icons are the very last, after, perhaps, a 1/2 second pause.

I'll keep digging Dave, still making a few tweaks to the design :).

Reaction score
More: a sampling of the small amount of width change makes the text show:
No text

With text

Check the difference in the size of the icons that are showing at the right edge. It's not a very big change in resizing of a window.

Attachments

• 1549809892583.png
    1549809892583.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 318

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, that's how it should work - once the width passes a cut-off, the CSS changes the style to save space :).

Reaction score
Correct. But it doesn’t need Much width! I’m on my Ipad currently (hence the terrible spelling - LOL) I am seeing all the ikons

Later. Well. No updates today. No mofiifciations on my part. -- They've gone again! Thety are there (clickable) but invisible.

Reaction score
I am still fighting this.

I have now found that this is related to the Security tab in the IE tools menu.

If you reset this to the defaults - an option from Microsoft, then you loose those tab shortcuts. Going to the Advanced tab selecting the option to restore IE to its defaults - which it doesn't entirely, brings the missing icons back again. You need to log out and in again.
Maybe my observation, but it seems the problem could be with Xenforo.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not even sure how sincere Microsoft is about supporting IE11

Reaction score
Heck from a perspective of Microsoft, I'm not sure how sincere they are about supporting any of their products.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As someone who still owns and uses a Windows 10 Phone, I too have similar reservations.
Fortunately I avoided the Zune music players.
Fool me once...…..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not even sure how sincere Microsoft is about supporting IE11
You may find this article interesting...:

Internet Explorer is a 'compatibility solution' and should only be used selectively, warns Microsoft exec.

I'm not sure what I can do to improve things for IE11 unfortunately, as it would be a huge task to get things fully backwards compatible. It's interesting that it's related to the security tab. I'll keep digging and if it's a simple fix then of course I'll do what I can :).

Reaction score
Of course they will say what every will get people to move on. That comment is close to saying Windows 7 is not an operating system, it is a compatibility solution. Lets not even mention how many years Windows XP wasn't an operating system.

Reaction score
You may find this article interesting...:

I'm not sure what I can do to improve things for IE11 unfortunately, as it would be a huge task to get things fully backwards compatible. It's interesting that it's related to the security tab. I'll keep digging and if it's a simple fix then of course I'll do what I can :).
Yout link is a little mind blowing, but we were Warner that it was being phased out. AS a matter of curiosity, has anyone Reading, made fresh install, and, if so, what is the default browser?

Under the cicumstances, Ian, You should not bother. Who would want to use it anyway, after that statement!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well I read the head line and thought.... hmmmm, pretty interesting "IE is not a browser".
Then I actually read his blog post and that is not at all what he actually said.
You see, Internet Explorer is a compatibility solution. We’re not supporting new web standards for it and, while many sites work fine, developers by and large just aren’t testing for Internet Explorer these days. They’re testing on modern browsers. So, if we continued our previous approach, you would end up in a scenario where, by optimizing for the things you have, you end up not being able to use new apps as they come out. As new apps are coming out with greater frequency, what we want to help you do is avoid having to miss out on a progressively larger portion of the web!
SOURCE: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/61207
Generally he seems to focus on something he terms as "Technical Debt" as it pertains to new web standards
AND
I think we've all discovered some sites that don't work properly with IE.

Reaction score
i just want to say my first impressions of this forum, looks very streamlined, clean in appearance. without a whole lot of clutter. but would love for more emotes to be added. theres a lot on mazeguy and many other sites

Reaction score
ah good. i have some emotes i like to post off this site -depending on what mood iam in, cheers

Ask a Question