Upgrade from 1803 to 1809 fails

Reaction score
I have never seen the 1809 update on my PC so decided to manually update it using the media creation tool.I have tried both with a bootable USB and ISO but it always ends in failure at a point where it says "installing updates" at 43%. The message I get, depending on method of install is either "Windows could not configure one or more system components" or "0xC1900101 0x30018 The installation failed in the First-Boot phase with an error during Sysrep operation". So far I have tried the following:

Run ChkDsk on drive
Tried installing from clean boot
Disabled startup menu items and hide msoft services in msconfig
Run sfc scannow no corruption detected
Run DISM CheckHealth, ScanHealth, RestoreHealth all OK
Reset Windows update components from troubleshooter
Cleaned registry
Uninstalled antivirus

I would really prefer not to have to do a clean install. Any ideas anyone. Attached is a copy of the setup error log if that helps identify where the problem might lie.
Thanks

Attachments

• setuperr.txt
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,019
Reaction score
Run these DISM tools from an Admin CMD Prompt
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
SFC /scannow " Run this one at least 3 Times" You can run this first three times sometimes that helps the other tools complete easier.
chkdsk C: /f " You have to reboot for this to run. You won't see anything but this can take up to an Hour or more it may stick at 28% or any other number for a long time that is because its repairing corrupted system files" If these tools fail you'll have to run them with a clean windows image. See this tutorial for how this is accomplished

Reaction score
Are you running Windows IIS?

If you can find the following phrase in your setupact.log, you might be able to back track and see what it is referring to.

Failure will not be ignored:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Probably also important to note is.....
Microsoft has introduced "BLOCKs" to updating to 1809 if your machine is using some drivers.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-w...halts-update-if-you-use-flawed-intel-drivers/

The "blocks" are in place to prevent some machines from participating in the staged roll-out.
I have no idea how these might manifest in the event that you manually attempt to upgrade outside the normal Windows Update path.

Reaction score
I have no idea how these might manifest in the event that you manually attempt to upgrade outside the normal Windows Update path.

There was a comment over in the Microsoft forum by a poster, not Microsoft, that the manual update would not install either. I can't say for sure since my two systems, which were not being blocked, had not gotten the update through normal means.

I think much of the rhetoric regarding this build update is just to cover Microsoft's rear end. They have now had this build for 8 months and still not able to release it to the public normally. And they are still testing servicing stacks with the Insiders..

Reaction score
Version 1809 17763.134 has been released and installed on all 3 of my computers without issues other than my frontdesk computer and all I had to do was run the DISM Tools and ChkDsk /F in my previous post in this thread to get it to run.

I believe the MCT is now creating 1809 Installs https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10.

I never allow WU to install a major upgrade. I did use the Catalog file to run 1809 .109, .55. and 134 I did not install the .107
So I can be no help with the standard Windows Updates

X86
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d..._02c2fd1fce65bb198cc4372f35720fac35c3fe46.msu
X64
http://download.windowsupdate.com/d..._7727ab0085a8a32730d35272c7f6f0e616bd23ad.msu

Reaction score
It appears a clean install of 1809 would be your best option. Back up all of your personal data.
Create a new USB MCT ISO which will be 1809 and perform a clean install. Disconnect from the internet and after the clean install connect to the internet and 1809 will download the applicable updates. Which should bring your OS up to current. 1809.17763.134. I just performed the same clean install on 3 machines with no problems.

Reaction score
My desktop has been updated to v1809 and has been running very smoothly ever since I am happy to report.

This is my home desktop however. At work, because of our required Enterprise McAfee VirusScan software, updates never go as smoothly, and most often have to be delayed, until either McAfee and/or my home office find a way to make VirusScan compatible with Win10's newest update.

--David

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks guys. Decided to bite the bullet and clean install. Probably a good idea anyway after 4 years of accumulating stuff. Just enjoying reinstalling my progs now.

Ask a Question